Programming ALL of Safe-T into a 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

djbrane

All,

I'm still curious to see how everyone is setting up their Uniden scanners. What I've done so far is create a system for a county's Safe-T frequencies/channels as well as a system for conventional freqs. Inside each are separate groups (Fire, EMS, Police, Sheriff, State Police, etc).

Does anyone have any suggestions, best practices, examples, etc. of how they've programmed their Uniden scanner for Safe-T and conventional? I plan to use mine while mobile and before I start throwing everything I can find in it, I'd like to make sure I'm setting it up in the most logical manner.

Also, here's a Safe-T related question. Monroe County has 3 different Safe-T towers (Bloomington, Paynetown, and Hindustan). With my setup, I have only included the Bloomington tower and not the other two. Should I be including the other two towers in my scanner configuration? If so, should I be locking them out and just enabling them when needed?

I'm still getting the hang of programming my scanner. I do use FreeScan and import from the RadioReference database. Any thoughts or suggestions on the matter would be appreciated.

I personally would put in all of the towers. That way if what you are wanting to hear is not being broadcast on the Bloomington tower due to not having a radio affiliated, you will be able to hear it off the other two towers.

aliby19

Feed Provider
For those of you utilizing the GPS feature on your Uniden scanners, what range are you entering to turn on/off sites/towers?

Thanks!

whitesox4life

guys and gals,
once again, i have started to compile a complete statewide file using FreeScan. I have all of the SAFE-T Towers in with freqs. I am in the process of putting TGs in. I should have those done by the end of next week. I am leaving out some of the majorly BS TGs. I am also including in the file ALL conventional freqs and the other trunked systems used by various counties for Public Safety (not for electric company, etc.). I hope to have this file ready by month's end.

frankcastle

guys and gals,
once again, i have started to compile a complete statewide file using FreeScan. I have all of the SAFE-T Towers in with freqs. I am in the process of putting TGs in. I should have those done by the end of next week. I am leaving out some of the majorly BS TGs. I am also including in the file ALL conventional freqs and the other trunked systems used by various counties for Public Safety (not for electric company, etc.). I hope to have this file ready by month's end.

You Are The Man!! Can't wait to get a look at the files!

aliby19

Feed Provider
whitesox4life -- I can't wait to see this too! Only one tip of advice and that's to back it up in multiple places so if your computer takes a dive like it did last time, you don't lose all your hard work.

Got a question for you -- how are you splitting the systems up into systems, groups, etc? By region? ISP District? Etc...

Thanks for doing this. Again, I can't wait to see the results!

whitesox4life

i am backing it up on a usb flash drive this time.
i am simply putting them in county by county. if anyone has any suggestions on splitting it to save space, etc..., feel free to let me know. I will entertain all suggestions.

DaveIN

Founders Curmudgen
Database Admin
i am backing it up on a usb flash drive this time.
i am simply putting them in county by county. if anyone has any suggestions on splitting it to save space, etc..., feel free to let me know. I will entertain all suggestions.

If you put each county in your going to get repeat control channels, so if you drive around with all the sites enabled your going to see a wrong county displayed for an active control channel that uses the same frequency, unless you use the Location Based Scanning (GPS) settings or a startup key with a region of counties programmed. The talkgroup ID's will be unaffected by these settings. FreeSCAN will reload the towers in separate systems in order to cover all the talkgroups in there respective groups as imported from the RR Database.

aliby19

Feed Provider
There are also some files here: N9WP's West Central Indiana, East Central Illinois Uniden USD files
If you use them, make sure to thank N9WP for his hard work.

I've seen some of N9WP's files, but unfortunately they don't cover the area I'm most interested in (Monroe County, IN).

I did receive a copy of another user's .996 file that includes (I believe) all of the current/existing Safe-T towers/sites. The person who created it started to put in GPS coordinates for them. I'm considering adding on to this file as well (including adding more GPS coordinates).

whitesox4life -- how's your file/project coming? I'd love to see what you have, even if it's a work in progress.

Thanks all!

WX4JCW

Premium Subscriber
I'm on here as well Noah, Sitting in Whiteland currently listening to MECA and SAFE-T on my 396XT
working for a little bit on the Tower Sites

Noah E-mail me on what sites you have done so far so i do not duplicate.

whitesox4life

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9100/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

i am just about done with the file. Life just got hectic again for a couple weeks. I am hoping to have this done by years end (God willing). I apologize for so many delays in getting this file completed.

aliby19

Feed Provider
Just a heads up for those using GPS features -- FreeScan will now import GPS coordinates from the RadioReference database, so no need to enter them manually...

mckeeb

Which model or brand of GPS unit do you use with your BCD396XT, aliby19? GPS seems like a great way to lock/unlock sites as you move in rang, currently I'm using the county number as the SQK. Also, whitesox4life, how's the file coming along? Still would like to take a look at it. I also need to become a premium subscriber so I can import direct from RR rather than using EZ Grab. Save me some time. Happy New Year all!

aliby19

Feed Provider
*bump* reviving the thread to check the status. whitesox4life, any updates for us?

And mckeeb -- I have an old Garmin eTrex that works just fine with my BCD396XT. Eventually I'm going to go with some sort of mag mount GPS unit that will stay fixed to my vehicle but until then the eTrex works just fine.

whitesox4life

Wirelessly posted (LGE-VX9100/1.0 UP.Browser/6.2.3.2 (GUI) MMP/2.0)

sorry for the delay. I have been going thru and making sure i have all current info. Will be copying file to flashdrive and should be posting within the month.

whitesox4life

I have file complete. However, when I attempt to upload it, it keeps saying "bad file". The computer I was using to build the file had the power supply go out within an hour of finishing and saving to both the PC and flashdrive. I am on a madhunt to find a power supply for it (does not take standard power supply). I am doing everything possible to get this issue fixed and get the file upoloaded. It is frustrating me as much as you guys are anxious to get it. I do not have GPS enabled on any banks. SAFE-T banks are set up within old ISP Districts. I did not include INDOT or any non-PS talkgroup/frequency. Conventional and non-SAFE-T banks are designated by county.

Status
Not open for further replies.