• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming an HT1000 with a DOS Emulator

Status
Not open for further replies.

FirefighterQtip1985

Premium Subscriber
Does anyone have any experience using a DOS emulator to run the software? I'm fairly new to programming, and I have a handful of HT1000s to program. Have a small amount of experience programming CDMs, HT1250s, etc. I understand you need to have a computer running DOS for the HT1000s, however an IT friend of mine suggested running a DOS emulator instead of getting an old computer.

BirkenVogt

I have had good success with Dos Box program and many older DOS based radios but not tried the HT1000 or anything like it. I did have it fail to program GM300s as I recall.

It is kind of a pain to get all the config files working correctly to use the serial port, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

wsykes41770

What I have done is loaded DOS and the HT1000 software on to a USB drive. I then boot the computer to the USB drive and run the software from there. It works just fine. I've programmed a great many HT1000s this way.

jaspence

Premium Subscriber
DOS emulator

It is not just the DOS that is part of the solution. Some newer hardware, especially the serial port, is not compatible with the radio firmware/hardware, and processor speed also can have a negative effect on the process. I am running a 25 MHz 286 processor in a dual floppy drive computer and have excellent results.

wsykes41770

It is not just the DOS that is part of the solution. Some newer hardware, especially the serial port, is not compatible with the radio firmware/hardware, and processor speed also can have a negative effect on the process. I am running a 25 MHz 286 processor in a dual floppy drive computer and have excellent results.

I'm running the USB DOS stick on a Dell Optiplex 990 ultrasmall form factor that is just shy of a year old. I program radios for a living and haven't had a bit of trouble with this machine and DOS-based programs. I've done HT1000s, MTS2000s, Maxtracs and a few other via DOS with out a problem. When I do have a problem, it is usually a bad single radio. I have more problems with the Windows-based CPSs and USB cables than with DOS and Serial ports (especially on Windows 7!)

I don't mean to sound argumentative here, but I also don't want anyone discouraged from trying because they MIGHT run into a problem. This solution works for me, so I thought I'd share. No harm, no foul.

K0TIN

The simple solution is don't. The HT1K's RSS can run find at modern clock speeds and isn't likely to brick them a as other older softwares do at modern clock speeds is, but you should booth the PC into DOS like wsykes41770 suggested, or grab an older computer that can boot to a pure DOS environment. (I've got a Dell Optiplex running Windows 98 for that, and just got an older ThinkPad that should work as well)

If you're curious the gritty details of why, take a look over at the repeater builder website. An overview of the Motorola Radio Service Software (RSS), the Radio Interface Box (RIB), their history, problems and some solutions

Last edited:

RKG

In addition to any other issues:

The early Motorola RSS made direct access to the UART chip, something DOS discourages (preferring the application to use DOS service calls) but did not flatly prohibit. Windows, on the other hand, intercepts all direct UART attempts and redirects them to Windows service calls. If a single bit gets lost or corrupted as a result, early Motorola subscriber radios would become hopelessly corrupted. And nowadays, you can't Depot these units for resuscitation.

While 95% of my clients are using Astro or Astro 25 equipment, believe it or not I still get calls to service or program HT1000s or MT2000s. For that, I spend a good deal of time keeping a small fleet of old NEC laptops, running MS-DOS 6.22 or PC-DOS 6.1, alive.

rescue161

KE4FHH
Database Admin
Believe it or not, our shop has always used a Windows 95 laptop to program: Systems Sabers, HT1000s, Spectras, etc.

We never boot to DOS and just run the RSS via a shortcut on the Desktop. Do I recommend this? Not really, but we have NEVER had a single radio get corrupted using this method of programming. For my personal stuff, I have a dual boot laptop and run RSS in pure DOS and CPS is in Windows.

robbie2

MT1000 Rss works in Dosbox

I have had good success with Dos Box program and many older DOS based radios but not tried the HT1000 or anything like it. I did have it fail to program GM300s as I recall.

It is kind of a pain to get all the config files working correctly to use the serial port, but once you get the hang of it, it's not too bad.

I have tried the MT1000 RSS in Dosbox and it works. I haven't gone as far as reading to radio yet but the software functions in Dosbox. I would keep the cycles at a slower speed.

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
I maintained an old laptop just for DOS RSS programming for many years. And they always would eventually have drive failures.

Eventually I started replacing the IDE hard drives with IDE to CF adapters and running a CF card as the hard drive. Add a PCMCIA to CF adapter in the PCMCIA slot and you have now got the makings of an excellent platform for programming those old radios, it being now free from the eventual failure that is
the fate of every mechanical drive.

When you've transcribed your last 3.5" floppy to CF cards, you now can have the great pleasure of throwing all those 3.5" disks in the trash.

robbie2

Hi

It will work in dosbox...but will not read or write properly
I do have a old compaq with windows 98 on it and a serial port. But when i go to power it on it boots to the compaq logo then noting just a black screen.

zz0468

QRT
Banned
Why the hassle? DOS 6.22 can be found for free on the internet. PC's and laptops with real serial ports can be found at yard sales and thrift stores for cheap. For HT1000's, a Pentium class laptop with a serial port will work just fine. Start talking about STX's and Syntors, then you need to slow it down.

It's a non-issue to get set up with real DOS, and then you don't have to fight with it. It just works.

Last edited:

KC9LQV

^^^ What he said.

Spend $10 or less and get a real DOS laptop, then go to town. Emulators are simply not worth the time or trouble. And nearly all the late DOS RSS era apps were made Pentium-compatible by their final versions.

AZ_chris

I've programmed several HT1000's using VMWare Workstation, a USB to Serial converter, and a RIBless cable no problem, and I'm running it on a new laptop that has 4 cores and Hyperthreading.

armycw2

I've programmed several HT1000's using VMWare Workstation, a USB to Serial converter, and a RIBless cable no problem, and I'm running it on a new laptop that has 4 cores and Hyperthreading.

How do you get the DOS VM to see the USB to serial? If I load it as a serial the DOS VM doesnt see it.

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
I use free DOS on a flash drive with a current HP laptop with a true serial port. HP actually has a program to format and load the DOS on the flash drive. Found through "G", and I have never found any way to make a USB work with a serial adapter on the older M radio programs using a true "M" rib box..

Status
Not open for further replies.