• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

programming as scanner?

Status
Not open for further replies.

macmann

I have a XTS2500 dual band 700/800. Our department uses the same band radios. Can I program my radio as a scanner for our department channels without having it transmit? I understand that if I need to transmit, I need a security key? We also use a lot of mts2000 radios. Can I clone my own radio info into the xts2500 I want to use. I am the end user of both radios.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
I have a XTS2500 dual band 700/800. Our department uses the same band radios. Can I program my radio as a scanner for our department channels without having it transmit? I understand that if I need to transmit, I need a security key? We also use a lot of mts2000 radios. Can I clone my own radio info into the xts2500 I want to use. I am the end user of both radios.

1. You cannot do any programming without the programming system key.
2. You cannot "clone" an MTS2000 cp into an XTS2500.
3. The XTS2500 will always attempt to auto-affilaite.

So in the end, go get a scanner unless you have as sitdown with the system manager.

Skypilot007

Premium Subscriber
The OP never mentioned trunking in the post so some of the above may not apply. If you are using convential radio system it should not be a problem to do, just remember you will only be able to scan 16 channels at a time.

If it is a trunked system you can either buy a scanner or do a lot of reading and poking around the internet mainly over on batboard and you may figure out how to do the trunking. Have fun.

N4DES

Retired 0598 Czar ÆS Ø
He also mentioned trunking in a prior thread where he asked a similiar question and received pretty much the same answers.

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
Like mentioned above, YES you can program the radio as a scanner. NO you don't need any type system key. The easiest thing to do, and to make life easy, is just see your radio systems manager, explain to them that you have a radio that you would like to have on the system. Since you work for them, they may or may not do it. It's all in your delivery. Don't tell them, but ask them what they can do to help you.

Seadoo

As KS4VT stated. Buy a scanner. You can ask your System admin to program your personal radio to the system, Some will do it, and some will not. Usually most will not. It is really up to the system admin. For instance, Some agencies policies allow the authorized users to take home the agency radios with them, and some don't. Security is an issue as when the system admin " Which is why most will not program personal radio " if he deside to go ahead and program your personal radio, It will have a unique ID, and if you are to leave the agency, they will just deactivate that ID. The radio will not transmit on the system anymore, but will still be able to hear all conversations and is the reason it is usually not allowed by agency policies to program personal radios. Im sure there are many other reasons, but this is usually one the main ones.

Last edited:

WA4MJF

However that being said, there are laws broken when one programs a trunked system into that radio without permission.

I'm curious why it would be again the law to program trunk system to the XTS2500, as opposed to any other radio capable of using a trunk system. Usually laws are written to broadly cover acts.

Thanks

ILMRadioMan

To program a trunked system into any motorola radio, you MUST have the system key.

They system key is the intellectual property of Motorola and the Owners of the system(s).

Therefore you are breaking intellectual property laws at a minimum.

This does not include other "I.T." laws that prohibit this on a regional basis.

WA4MJF

To program a trunked system into any motorola radio, you MUST have the system key.

They system key is the intellectual property of Motorola and the Owners of the system(s).

Therefore you are breaking intellectual property laws at a minimum.

This does not include other "I.T." laws that prohibit this on a regional basis.

Got it now, the way I was looking at the first post's "that radio", I thought there was something
special about the XTS-2500.

Status
Not open for further replies.