• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Programming Baofeng BF-A58 with CHIRP Was: Can anyone help me with this?

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK6KMO

To prerequisite, I have not used chirp in a long time but I believe you need to change your tone modes to tone (or DTCS as required) and move the tones you have in tonesqu to the tone column.

Rchdude1

Premium Subscriber
To prerequisite, I have not used chirp in a long time but I believe you need to change your tone modes to tone (or DTCS as required) and move the tones you have in tonesqu to the tone column.
Thank you. I will try this and see if it works... tbh I don't even know it those are still even in use but all I can do is listen for a while and see. Thanks again.

nd5y

For listening you don't need tones.
They can prevent you from hearing anything at all if what you are trying to listen to doesn't transmit a tone or uses a different one than what is listed.
I would remove everything from the Tone Mode and ToneSql columns. The way you did it is incorrect.
If you only need a transmit tone you put the tone in the Tone column not ToneSql. The CrossMode column should be empty for all of those.
Since you are not licensed and not allowed to transmit you should change the Duplex column from +/- to Off.

WA0CBW

Premium Subscriber
It appears one of the frequencies has an uncommon offset. It might be a local oddity but I would check it to be sure. If you are just listening I would get rid of the tones as well.
bb

Rchdude1

Premium Subscriber
For listening you don't need tones.
They can prevent you from hearing anything at all if what you are trying to listen to doesn't transmit a tone or uses a different one than what is listed.
I would remove everything from the Tone Mode and ToneSql columns. The way you did it is incorrect.
If you only need a transmit tone you put the tone in the Tone column not ToneSql. The CrossMode column should be empty for all of those.
Since you are not licensed and not allowed to transmit you should change the Duplex column from +/- to Off.

I would like to have them set up to TX for a emergency situation but tbh I don't believe I'd ever need it so... I know about turning crossmode colmn to off but as far as having the tone codes to listen only, which is the ones I will need to listen, is it the tone in or tone out? And which column in CHIRP do I enter the tone? in tone column or tonesql column. Thank you for the advice.

KK6KMO

If you have no tones programmed then the radio will receive and play any signal it receives.

nd5y

Cognomen

Since you're preparing for a SHTF scenario, I recommend you go get your Amateur Radio license as part of your preparedness plan, then become proficient with your radio. Then when the S does HTF, you'll be able to utilize your radio with no issues. Plus you'll be able to transmit any time, giving you more value for the money spent.

K4EET

Chaplain
Just so you will know, since you do not have a ham license and if the S does HTF one day, there will be hams (including me) that will not risk losing their license by communicating with an unlicensed individual. On our local repeaters, we periodically have unlicensed preppers show up asking for "radio checks" to which they get no response from licensed hams. Instead, those individuals are quietly tracked with sophisticated equipment by FCC monitoring personnel (I know of one) for possible prosecution. The fines can be as high as $10,000 and/or 10 years in jail. So if you really want to make sure that somebody is going to talk to you and to maximize your investment like @Cognomen eluded to, you really should get your Technician's license in the Amateur Radio Service. It really does not take that much studying to pass the 25 question test.

Rchdude1

Premium Subscriber
Just so you will know, since you do not have a ham license and if the S does HTF one day, there will be hams (including me) that will not risk losing their license by communicating with an unlicensed individual. On our local repeaters, we periodically have unlicensed preppers show up asking for "radio checks" to which they get no response from licensed hams. Instead, those individuals are quietly tracked with sophisticated equipment by FCC monitoring personnel (I know of one) for possible prosecution. The fines can be as high as $10,000 and/or 10 years in jail. So if you really want to make sure that somebody is going to talk to you and to maximize your investment like @Cognomen eluded to, you really should get your Technician's license in the Amateur Radio Service. It really does not take that much studying to pass the 25 question test.
I totally understand that and after reading replies and more info on the matter, i have done away with wanting the ability to TX on these frequencies but I still would like to be able to listen to them. I do not understand how to set it up in CHIRP correctly to be able to listen only. (I have no life lol) By using the information given from radio reference, in the 'tone out' and 'tone in' columns, do I need to program one of those two into CHIRP to RX? I know it's asking a lot but it would be so helpful if someone could go row by row and column by column to show me how to set it up properly. If I knew someone local I could ask but I do not. I have considered going for tech license but I would like to see how much activity is in my local area first.

FKimble

As already mentioned above. Simple button = TURN OFF ALL THE TONES! With no tones set, the radio will receive all the signals from the frequencies you have set. A tone will block the signal unless the signal contains the correct tone. Tones simply block the signals without the matching tone. Tone in tells the repeater to turn on, but your not transmitting so it really won't make any difference.

Frank

Status
Not open for further replies.