Programming BCD352P2 for San Antonio

Status
Not open for further replies.

Benkarl

I did download proscan and was able to connect to my PC and control the scanner through the PC. Now I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to program it for my areas (my home and a location I visit frequently).

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
First of all welcome to RR. You are getting off on a good foot as PROSCAN works with almost all Uniden Scanners built in the last 20 years.
Number 2 you can become a PREMIUM SUBSCRIBER and direct import from the RR DATABASE to your scanner.

Chris0516

I did download proscan and was able to connect to my PC and control the scanner through the PC. Now I'm in the process of trying to figure out how to program it for my areas (my home and a location I visit frequently).
Good, You are 'getting your feet wet', with Proscan. (y) (y) But, Until you get your scanner replaced. Hold off, on trying to program it with Proscan.

Benkarl

I did buy a premium membership and I've been able to download frequencies into my scanner (the new one). Unfortunately, I'm not actually picking anything up with it except occasional static. The national weather service frequencies work but that's it. I added amateur radio, various public safety channels, corporate channels, etc. I even added Citizen's Band and that's not picking up anything. I'm in a major city with stuff all around me so I would think I'd pick up something. I'm assuming maybe my little handheld scanner doesn't have enough range and I may need a bigger antenna.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I did buy a premium membership and I've been able to download frequencies into my scanner (the new one). Unfortunately, I'm not actually picking anything up with it except occasional static. The national weather service frequencies work but that's it. I added amateur radio, various public safety channels, corporate channels, etc. I even added Citizen's Band and that's not picking up anything. I'm in a major city with stuff all around me so I would think I'd pick up something. I'm assuming maybe my little handheld scanner doesn't have enough range and I may need a bigger antenna.
You might want to request that your thread be moved to the Texas Forum. There are several San Antonio members post fairly frequently. One of them might be able to make suggestions. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there. You could also be a little more specific on your location, like a fairly nearby street or highway intersection, to get a little more information on where you are in that area.

What software are you using? You could post your programming file, so that someone else can take a look & possibly make suggestions. I'm in Dallas, so all I could give you would be generalized suggestions, as it's been a very long time since I've been to your area.

Chris0516

While you downloaded the RR database. If you downloaded data that the RR database says, are P25, NXDN, or DMR systems. You will just need to correctly program a P25 talkgroup. Because, The BCD325p2 (obviously)comes with p25 capability. But, To do any NXDN, or DMR systems. You will have to upgrade your scanner by buying the software key for each. That is what I did for my BCD325p2. So I have all three(P25/NXDN/DMR)

Have you programmed your scanner with ProScan?

Last edited:

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would also note that the majority of public safety agencies (Police/Fire/EMS) for both San Antonio, as well as Bexar County, are on this system:

If you look at the various talkgroups for agencies in the county, the Mode column for the talkgroups are usually labeled as D. That signifies that ProVoice is in use. Unless you purchased the ProVoice upgrade, you will not be able to monitor them. Some of them show an M in the Mode column, which means both analog (which you can hear without the upgrade) and ProVoice radio traffic uses that TGID. There are a few encrypted talkgroups used by SAPD; these are tagged with a DE in the mode column. However, dispatch talkgroups are not currently encrypted.

Eventually, San Antonio & Bexar County will will transition to a P25 Phase II trunked system. Some talkgroups can be patched into the newer system, but most activity is on the old EDACS system, and using ProVoice.

A couple of the smaller cities in the county are using the LCRA P25 Phase II system.

Benkarl

You might want to request that your thread be moved to the Texas Forum. There are several San Antonio members post fairly frequently. One of them might be able to make suggestions. To do that, do not create a new thread. Instead, click on the Report in the lower left corner of one of your posts, and request that a moderator move your thread to the state forum. Someone in the area would be more likely to see it there. You could also be a little more specific on your location, like a fairly nearby street or highway intersection, to get a little more information on where you are in that area.

What software are you using? You could post your programming file, so that someone else can take a look & possibly make suggestions. I'm in Dallas, so all I could give you would be generalized suggestions, as it's been a very long time since I've been to your area.
I'm using ProScan. I will try to get this moved but I'm curious if there is a reason to move vs starting a fresh thread?

Benkarl

While you downloaded the RR database. If you downloaded data that the RR database says, are P25, NXDN, or DMR systems. You will just need to correctly program a P25 talkgroup. Because, The BCD325p2 (obviously)comes with p25 capability. But, To do any NXDN, or DMR systems. You will have to upgrade your scanner by buying the software key for each. That is what I did for my BCD325p2. So I have all three(P25/NXDN/DMR)

Have you programmed your scanner with ProScan?
I programmed with ProScan. I also bought "ProVoice" and "DMR" which has allowed me to pick up some things, but not as much as I think I should be able to. I didn't see anything that said NXDN and ProVoice didn't give me any warnings with any of the frequencies I added to my scanner. It did do that when I was adding DMR without the upgrade.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I programmed with ProScan. I also bought "ProVoice" and "DMR" which has allowed me to pick up some things, but not as much as I think I should be able to. I didn't see anything that said NXDN and ProVoice didn't give me any warnings with any of the frequencies I added to my scanner. It did do that when I was adding DMR without the upgrade.
Did you import the Bexar/San Antonio system from the database? Be sure that the correct LCN#s are in place. Those are required to monitor an EDACS system.

Benkarl

I would also note that the majority of public safety agencies (Police/Fire/EMS) for both San Antonio, as well as Bexar County, are on this system:

If you look at the various talkgroups for agencies in the county, the Mode column for the talkgroups are usually labeled as D. That signifies that ProVoice is in use. Unless you purchased the ProVoice upgrade, you will not be able to monitor them. Some of them show an M in the Mode column, which means both analog (which you can hear without the upgrade) and ProVoice radio traffic uses that TGID. There are a few encrypted talkgroups used by SAPD; these are tagged with a DE in the mode column. However, dispatch talkgroups are not currently encrypted.

Eventually, San Antonio & Bexar County will will transition to a P25 Phase II trunked system. Some talkgroups can be patched into the newer system, but most activity is on the old EDACS system, and using ProVoice.

A couple of the smaller cities in the county are using the LCRA P25 Phase II system.
I am using ProVoice. I programmed a bunch of the frequencies on that list by using ProScan to import whatever the default is from RadioReference. The main thing I seem to be picking up is the "System Frequencies" at the start of the list, not the talk groups.

I did add the LCRA talk group as well.

Benkarl

Did you import the Bexar/San Antonio system from the database? Be sure that the correct LCN#s are in place. Those are required to monitor an EDACS system.
I imported from the database. I'm assuming that has the correct LCN#s. I'm not sure where to find those if it doesn't as that page doesn't seem to have it.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I'm using ProScan. I will try to get this moved but I'm curious if there is a reason to move vs starting a fresh thread?
Starting a duplicate thread, on the same issue, is against forum rules. While your current thread is not totally "in the wrong place", my thought is that by moving it to the Texas forum, you would be much more likely to get the attention of someone actually in your area.
I am using ProVoice. I programmed a bunch of the frequencies on that list by using ProScan to import whatever the default is from RadioReference. The main thing I seem to be picking up is the "System Frequencies" at the start of the list, not the talk groups.

I did add the LCRA talk group as well.
OK, you lost me there. For a trunked system, when programmed correctly, you would only hear active talkgroups, not the "system frequencies".

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I imported from the database. I'm assuming that has the correct LCN#s. I'm not sure where to find those if it doesn't as that page doesn't seem to have it.
You need to have both the Blue, and Gold, Simulcast sites programmed.

The LCN's are the small number in the corner of the frequency's field.
1606282464016.png

Benkarl

Starting a duplicate thread, on the same issue, is against forum rules. While your current thread is not totally "in the wrong place", my thought is that by moving it to the Texas forum, you would be much more likely to get the attention of someone actually in your area.

OK, you lost me there. For a trunked system, when programmed correctly, you would only hear active talkgroups, not the "system frequencies".
Ok, I'll request a move.

When I said System Frequencies, I was referring to the frequencies listed in the table under the heading "System Frequencies" near the top of the page at San Antonio/Bexar County Trunking System, San Antonio, Texas - Scanner Frequencies
I don't pick up any of the talk groups listed after that table.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
If you are picking up zero talkgroups, then something is missing from your programming on that system.

Save & post your ProScan file. It's a *.txt file, which is acceptable to attach. (Sentinel and ARC files have to be zipped in order to be attached to a post.)

Benkarl

If you are picking up zero talkgroups, then something is missing from your programming on that system.

Save & post your ProScan file. It's a *.txt file, which is acceptable to attach. (Sentinel and ARC files have to be zipped in order to be attached to a post.)
I've attached the file. Thanks for all your help, by the way.

Attachments

• BCD325P2-1.txt
    109.2 KB · Views: 8

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I've attached the file. Thanks for all your help, by the way.
I'll take a closer look in the morning. But with a quick once-over look, I don't see anything out of place or entered incorrectly.

Just to confirm, when, on the scanner, you use the menu, and scroll down to access Settings
Then, select Upgrade & press Enter
When you try to access the ProVoice upgrade, it should be saying already upgraded. Just a shot in the dark, that maybe it did not activate correctly. And you do have the latest firmware, right?
When you go into the Settings menu, then select "See Scanner Info"
then select Firmware version, you should be seeing 1.08.01

Benkarl

I'll take a closer look in the morning. But with a quick once-over look, I don't see anything out of place or entered incorrectly.

Just to confirm, when, on the scanner, you use the menu, and scroll down to access Settings
Then, select Upgrade & press Enter
When you try to access the ProVoice upgrade, it should be saying already upgraded. Just a shot in the dark, that maybe it did not activate correctly. And you do have the latest firmware, right?
When you go into the Settings menu, then select "See Scanner Info"
then select Firmware version, you should be seeing 1.08.01
Yes. I upgraded the firmware yesterday before I applied the ProVoice and DMR upgrades. I just checked and confirmed 1.08.01. I just checked the upgrades and I do see that ProVoice is already activated.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Yes. I upgraded the firmware yesterday before I applied the ProVoice and DMR upgrades. I just checked and confirmed 1.08.01. I just checked the upgrades and I do see that ProVoice is already activated.
Ok

I figured that you had, but never hurts to verify

I’m hoping someone in your area has a better suggestion

I’ll look at your file more closely in the morning but I don’t see anything obviously out of place in a quick once-thru

Status
Not open for further replies.