Programming BCD396XT using FreeScan for Dummies?

Status
Not open for further replies.

cwj911

Premium Subscriber
Bc396xt and bcd436hp

Getting a computer to program both type of scanners, what window program is compatable to program these scanners

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
FreeSCAN Critical Error

Hello, I have re-programmed my 396XT several times. This time I deleted a couple
sites and added a new system. That's it. During uploading with FreeSCAN, it gets to
only 23% full (less then half of my data) and stops with this critical error.
Very frustrating! Never done this before. If anyone has any guidance for this problem
it would be extremely appreciated. BTW: To be clear, I have used 2-9-Hold, etc.

Thank you so much now and in advance.... Craig

Attachments

• Freescan Error 2.jpg
    Freescan Error 2.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:

Blunt630

Never seen that error before, and I have an 396xt, try removing battery's for a few mins, restart your PC, erase ALL in freescan and try to upload.

Ronaldski

MI DB Admin
Database Admin
More than likely your cable is bad or lost connection somehow. Make sure it is fully connected through the process.

W8RMH

Feed Provider Since 2012
Hello, I have re-programmed my 396XT several times. This time I deleted a couple
sites and added a new system. That's it. During uploading with FreeSCAN, it gets to
only 23% full (less then half of my data) and stops with this critical error.
Very frustrating! Never done this before. If anyone has any guidance for this problem
it would be extremely appreciated. BTW: To be clear, I have used 2-9-Hold, etc.

Thank you so much now and in advance.... Craig
That scanner has some programming limitations, such as:

Channels: 25,000 maximum
Systems: 500 maximum
Groups per system: 20 maximum
Talkgroups per trunked system: 500 maximum

Channels per conventional system: 1000 maximum

You will get that message if you exceed one of these limitations. On larger radio systems you may have to create more than one system to monitor them, due to the amount of Groups and/or Talkgroups. The most common errors.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Another way this can happen is if you constantly use 'ADD' instead of 'REPLACE' on the upload form. In addition, some memory is taken up by pre-programmed SQKs that was data loaded years ago as a demo, and is likely very out of date by now.

In both cases, the fix is simple - use the ERASE function on the upload form to clear the scanner before uploading

Mike

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for your time, but will explain further.
I also have a BCD996XT that I use the exact same
program in with no issues. Here’s what the 996XT
reads out;

Memory Used: 50%
System 88: 17%
Site 627: 62%
CHN 15592: 62%

I also do not use the ‘add’ feature as I always
do a clean install. So far I am wondering if
the unit itself is in need of repair? Maybe the
memory chip (IC) could be faulty? The unit
is old. Again thoughts appreciated… Craig

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Thanks all for your time, but will explain further.
I also have a BCD996XT that I use the exact same
program in with no issues. Here’s what the 996XT
reads out;

Memory Used: 50%
System 88: 17%
Site 627: 62%
CHN 15592: 62%

I also do not use the ‘add’ feature as I always
do a clean install. So far I am wondering if
the unit itself is in need of repair? Maybe the
memory chip (IC) could be faulty? The unit
is old. Again thoughts appreciated… Craig
Craig,
This may not solve your issue, but it's easy to try.

I've run into a similar scenario with FreeSCAN at times in the past. Before you try to write your programming to the scanner, first connect the scanner and pc with your cable.
Click on Write to scanner, to pop up the window for system selection and whether to add, clear memory, etc.
Now, click on the COM port setting.
At the next screen, instead of using the port shown, click on Start Auto

What I've run into occasionally is that sometimes FreeSCAN will somehow set itself to expect a different scanner is selected. By using the Auto, and letting FreeSCAN "find" both the port as well as the 396XT that's connected, and will then load your file. This has happened most often when I'm updating programming on several scanners, various models, and the software is expecting to find a different model on the end of the cable.

If that's no help, then you might download ProScan & try it. There's a 30 day free trial, and if it also cannot load the 396XT, then I'd suspect a scanner issue. Remember, however, that one of the options under the Settings menu is to turn the serial port off, as well as set the speed it communicates.

Craigmoe

Premium Subscriber
Thanks Steve, the radio (396XT) does program up to 23% full then stops with the critical error.
What it puts in up to that point works fine, just won't go any further. I also tried another
computer and got the same issue. I've tried different port speeds, etc., doesn't change anything,
same result. At this point still thinking the scanner itself?

pinballwiz86

Premium Subscriber
I would try a different piece of software. I've had great success using ProScan to program the 396XT and control it through my computer.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
I would try a different piece of software. I've had great success using ProScan to program the 396XT and control it through my computer.

Thanks Steve, the radio (396XT) does program up to 23% full then stops with the critical error.
What it puts in up to that point works fine, just won't go any further. I also tried another
computer and got the same issue. I've tried different port speeds, etc., doesn't change anything,
same result. At this point still thinking the scanner itself?
It does sound like a scanner problem based on your additional comments. However, as I suggested earlier, and pinball has also suggested, no harm on trying ProScan. As long as you have not previously used it for the free trial period, you can download & install it. Use it to 'read' your programming from your 996XT, then change radio types to the 396XT and see if it will load completely. If not, then you may well need to send it in for repair.

Can you post your programming file? I'll see if I can load it, via FreeSCAN, in one of my 396XTs that I'm not currently using. To meet forum file requirements, you'd need to either zip it with WinZip or the free 7-Zip, or change the file extension. Instead of 'myfile.996' (without the quotes, of course), either rename it to 'myfile.txt' or 'myfile.996.txt'. You would then be able to attach the zipped or renamed file a post.

Status
Not open for further replies.