Programming bcd996p2 and Multiple Sites

Status
Not open for further replies.

tglendye

Blue Ridge Mountains, Shenandoah River
Premium Subscriber
I have two friends getting bcd996p2's and am planning on helping them. I am looking for the most efficient way for programming a system with multiple sites. I am used to the x36 scanners and am not sure how similar things are with the Quick Keys.

I think I am going to use Free Scan to program and import the system from the RRDB. Should I assign each site a quick key or does the 996p2 look for the closest site and choose that. I am trying to figure out how a large statewide system can be numbered efficiently if each site needs a QK to toggle on/ off and selected individually. A gps will not be used, at least for now.

Should I assign each site a quick key or does the 996p2 look for the closest site and choose that.
Yes in Freescan you can program multiple sites.

It doesn't hurt to assign quick keys because you can leave them enabled or disabled, depending upon the reception and area you're in.

The scanner will only use control channels it can lock on to.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
What will the scanners be monitoring (city, county, state, agency)?
All of the above:) I'll actually be programming two systems. The first is the local city/ county system that has a total of 3 sites. The second is Virginia STARS that has a bunch (I'll take a stab in the dark and let's say 65 sites).

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Yes in Freescan you can program multiple sites.

It doesn't hurt to assign quick keys because you can leave them enabled or disabled, depending upon the reception and area you're in.

The scanner will only use control channels it can lock on to.

If I program each site and do not assign quick keys, will the scanner stop at the first control channel it finds and track only that site? Or will the scanner go through the CC list and check each CC for activity?

If I program each site and do not assign quick keys, will the scanner stop at the first control channel it finds and track only that site?
Having frequencies programmed you can't receive will slow the process of scanning the system as the scanner will scan all of the frequencies it's not receiving anything on.

There's no way in the scanner to designate a frequency as a Control Channel.

tvengr

Well Known Member
If you do not assign quick keys, the scanner will check every site which means you will miss a lot of transmissions while scanning out of range sites. If using it for mobile, you can change sites automatically by using a GPS.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Sounds like it works similar to what I am used to with the x36 scanners. Thanks for both of your help!

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
The 996 and x36 function similarly when it comes to multiple site trunked systems. They "look" at each site that is not avoided/locked out and see if there is control channel activity. If there is, it monitors the control channel for 1.5-2 seconds (or longer if depending on Hold Time). If not, it almost immediately goes on to the next site.

The quick keys is a different subject. With the x36 site quick keys were at the department level. With the 996, they are at the system level.

The memory limits in the x36 are much more generous than the 996. It is doubtful you will have enough memory resources available to program an entire statewide system in a 996. Typically folks break statewide systems down by regions to deal with that.

tglendye

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. I worked on the programming last night. Kind of difficult without having the scanners yet to download to and see how they perform.

Status
Not open for further replies.