Programming BCD996P2 nxdn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Eric_T

I'm new to scanning and have never had a scanner this advance. I have however had older models and understand a little bit about programming conventional and digital trunking. I've got majority of everything around me. But has been really hit and miss. I'm wondering is there something I'm doing wrong while programming the nxdn system I'm trying to listen To? I'm attempting to listen in on obion county law in obion county Tennessee. Its showing type 2 Motorola but the tag is NXDN.

I've successfully heard nxdn only frequencies so I know I'm doing something right but I'm clueless about programming nxdn. It's new to me and the county I don't think has had it more than a year

I have managed to program it in from ARC-XT Pro in many different ways trying out other settings before uploading to the unit. Sometimes it's great others it's not but even when I'm picking everything up I'm either missing parts of the transmissions or a hard distortion as if I havent paid for the upgrade which i have. (Yes I entered the keys) System is up to date on firmware. The antenna I'm using is the stock which I have in the window with the suction cups. I've also got the bnc telescopic antenna I've used both and both receive really strong signals. I'm about 20 miles from this county and everything comes in strong just major distortion at the beginning of the transmission like its having trouble decoding.

Just learning more everyday it seems and any advice would be greatly appreciated.

n1chu

Premium Subscriber
Are you looking at Obion Regional County system or the statewide Tenn system? I’m not seeing NXDN... but I didn’t spend a lot of time studying RR... I don’t see anything listed as “Obion Law” but that Obion Regional County trunked system looks like what you are after.

Eric_T

Yes I have that trunked system programmed and picks up. Still broken up though. But the same frequencies show up on obion county Sherriff's office and union city pd as nxdn when looking at the programmed conventional frequencies. So I have them programmed as conventional and I programmed the trunked regional. Both ways pick up what I want but broken and static causing me to miss the first part of the transmission. I'll add a few pics.... these are what I'm trying to listen to. Screenshot_20200309-075748_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200309-075707_Chrome.jpgScreenshot_20200309-080649_Chrome.jpg

Attachments

• Screenshot_20200309-075619_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20200309-075619_Chrome.jpg
    57.9 KB · Views: 5

Eric_T

Using ARC-XT to program. So I didn't change anything when I uploaded to the scanner. So not sure if I need to change something.

Transmissions coming in strong and loud just a few seconds of loud distortion. I don't say static because it doesn't sound like normal static.

Sounds like it did before I paid the upgrade and then after missing the first few seconds of the transmission it comes in perfectly

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
Sounds like it did before I paid the upgrade and then after missing the first few seconds of the transmission it comes in perfectly
You have the channel programmed as conventional, and it's taking time for the scanner to detect digital and switch modes.

Program as NXDN with the correct RAN code, and that won't happen.

Eric_T

I tried that before but never seen where to input the RAN code so I was missing that part. Where do I enter the ran ? also is that something I put in before transferring from ARC-XT or is that something i will put in after I've uploaded the nxdn frequencies to my scanner

You have the channel programmed as conventional, and it's taking time for the scanner to detect digital and switch modes.

Eric_T

also now that im trying to program as nxdn after the frequency its wanting the lcn number... is that where i input the ran?

Eric_T

so what do i put after the frequency and it ask for the lcn ? also where do i put the ran?

buddrousa

Premium Subscriber
So you are close to Clinton Ky? You will need and outside antenna there.
As Jon said and as I said OBION COUNTY IS NOT NXDN TRUNKING it is conventional.
I see you are a PREMIUM SUBSCRIBER JUST DOWNLOAD THE LOCAL STUFF IT IS RIGHT AND WORKS.

Eric_T

So you are close to Clinton Ky? You will need and outside antenna there.
As Jon said and as I said OBION COUNTY IS NOT NXDN TRUNKING it is conventional.
I see you are a PREMIUM SUBSCRIBER JUST DOWNLOAD THE LOCAL STUFF IT IS RIGHT AND WORKS.
my location is in between woodland mills and hickman ky

Eric_T

Selected NXDN to program. Then I programmed a frequency. After entering the frequency, its asking for a LCN. What is LCN and where do I enter the Ran?

Last edited:

Eric_T

FrequencyLicenseTypeToneAlpha TagDescriptionModeTag
453.75000WNMU919RM10 RANOCSD DISPATCHSheriff's Department - DispatchNXDNLaw Dispatch

i
yes i have it programmed as conventional but its broken and bad static at the beginning of the transmission...
trying to take the other guys advice and program that and a few of the other nxdn tag frequencies with the ran and LCN and see if the transmissions are better

Eric_T

As i said earlier i have them also programmed as conventional and they come in with strong signal and clear... but thats after a few secs of really strong static.. by then i have missed the first part of the transmission if not all of it entirely..... then for the response to that transmission is the same thing bad static and missed some if not all of the transmission.

jonwienke

More Info Coming Soon!
If programmed as conventional, the RAN goes in the column where you put tone or DCS for analog.

Status
Not open for further replies.