• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Baofeng Programming BF-F8HP with CHIRP - can only hear NOAA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Coffeecup-OK

Just got a BF-F8HP and watched scads of videos & manuals prior to using CHIRP. Loaded the frequencies I wanted, but the only channel that comes through is NOAA. What settings do I have off that I cannot hear police, news or repeaters in the area that I programmed into it. Nothing, nada. I called the local club but the guy blew me off just telling me to go to Miklor which I combed through again. I need to know how to fix this. Thx, all.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
There are a lot of possibilities here, but the prominent ones:

1) Are the frequencies you are trying to listen to covered by the radio?
2) Is whatever you're trying to monitor using FM? If these people (particularly law enforcement) are using digital of any kind (i.e. P25, which is very common for LE) you aren't going to pick it up. Remember, this radio is a two-way radio, not a scanner.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Just got a BF-F8HP and watched scads of videos & manuals prior to using CHIRP. Loaded the frequencies I wanted, but the only channel that comes through is NOAA. What settings do I have off that I cannot hear police, news or repeaters in the area that I programmed into it. Nothing, nada. I called the local club but the guy blew me off just telling me to go to Miklor which I combed through again. I need to know how to fix this. Thx, all.
You will need to tell us EXACTLY what you are trying to program in to your BF-F8HP.

What specific agencies are you trying to monitor... in what State, County, and City are those agencies in?

Locate what you are trying to monitor in the database at this link, and post a link in your reply to those agencies:

Coffeecup-OK

My Bad buying a cheap Chinese handheld. I'm aware it is not a scanner.
I used CHIRP to load NOAA, sheriffs office, 2 news stations, FRS & GRMS frequencies & 8 repeaters.
Disabled duplex in CHIRP & some unit menu items per online instructions so I wouldn't accidently reply where I am not able to. Just hoping one of those accidently turned off the ability to listen as well. If you can't help, thanks anyway. Tulsa & Broken Arrow, OK.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
Wagoner County (including Broken Arrow) is on a P25 Phase II digital system, and 800 MHz to boot. There is absolutely NO chance of listening to that with your radio.

Tulsa County Sheriff is also on a P25 digital network, 800 MHz and there is no way you can listen to that. Sheriff car-to-car low band (assuming they still use it) is on 155.070. Tulsa Police is on a P25 system as well, no chance of listening to it.

So out of what you listed, the only thing you will be able to hear on your list is potentially the news media in Tulsa Co., FRS/GMRS, NOAA Weather Channels, and maybe whatever repeaters you programmed in. I'm assuming they are amateur radio?

Coffeecup-OK

Good to know, will read up more on these.
But neither can I receive anything on FRS or GRMS nor repeaters. no tones, nothing. Yes, local amateur radio repeaters.
I guess I'm on the wrong forum for you-all to know a lot about a cheap handheld but I will read up on bands. Working towards my technicians license now. Appreciate your responding. Thx.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
I guess I'm on the wrong forum for you-all to know a lot about a cheap handheld but I will read up on bands.

Not the wrong forum at all. There will be people who criticize the choice of radio, but that's fine. Plenty of people here know how to program these things and can help you out. As chief21 said, a screenshot would be very helpful.

Coffeecup-OK

Sure. Any assistance would be welcome. I'm a blinding newbie and trying to educate myself with the videos & books, but sometimes I would like a detail check. Thank you.

alcahuete

Premium Subscriber
As was said, the GMRS is a little wonky, but aside from that, all look pretty good. I don't see anything on there that would prohibit you from receiving.

SteveSimpkin

Premium Subscriber
Good to know, will read up more on these.
But neither can I receive anything on FRS or GRMS nor repeaters. no tones, nothing. Yes, local amateur radio repeaters.
I would try listening on other frequencies that may have more activity in your area. Even with a good antenna 30’ high, I have heard almost nothing on FRS, GMRS or MURS from my house over the years. Even the local ham repeaters near me rarely have anyone talking on them. Local public safety frequencies in my area have a lot more activity although some of them can go for quite some time with no activity.

Marine_Cotporal

Simplex Kid
You aren’t going to hear anything in FRS, MURS, and GMRS if you aren’t in range of someone transmitting. And whether someone is transmitting on that frequency is a different story as well. There isn’t consistent chatter to begin with. FRS and MURS only has about a mile range or so.

So in order to hear someone on those citizen frequencies ...

1. Someone has to transmit.
2. You need to be in range of them.

As to the police frequencies, that game is over. Almost all of them have migrated away or are in the process of migrating away from analog radio that your Baofeng can pick up so you won’t hear those frequencies as well.

Coffeecup-OK

OK, thank you very much I needed that feedback.
Then what CAN I listen to on the handheld if repeaters aren't transmitting. Beside NOAA.
What good is a ham if in an emergency there's no communication? I would do better with a set of walke-talkies?

Marine_Cotporal

Simplex Kid
OK, thank you very much I needed that feedback.
Then what CAN I listen to on the handheld if repeaters aren't transmitting. Beside NOAA.
What good is a ham if in an emergency there's no communication? I would do better with a set of walke-talkies?
You can program amateur radio frequencies in your area to listen to. It will mostly be older guys talking about the weather, how good the other sounds on the radio they are using, how they once were able to talk to a guy 6 states away due to frequency skip or propagation or some other phenomena, what radio they are going to get, what radio their friend has, what radio they do not like, etc. Once you program those, you’ll hear a lot more. Go to repeaterbook.com to get those frequencies.

Coffeecup-OK

Got it. That's where I did get the repeaters I do have programmed. I'll add a few more and observe the local ham club for news.
Appreciate the info & advice. We old guys need it sometimes (don't often admit it). Have a great day.

sloop

If you are trying to scan those freq. the only thing you will hear is NOAA. On scan the radio will 'lock' one the first freq. it hears that has a transmission....NOAA. To scan your freq. you need to take NOAA out of scan list by removing it or locking it out.

Coffeecup-OK

Dang, the videos never get that far into explanation! They all concentrate on the mechanics of programming & not the functions upon use. Your comments are informative & welcome. I'll definitely take the NOAA off of the index. I have an emergency radio in the go bag so really not as necessary. If the SHTF I wanted some sort of actual communication device.

Status
Not open for further replies.