• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Boafeng 888s

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kaizmuth

I picked up a couple Boafeng 888S radios from Amazon. I plan on using them on the FRS frequencies at low power so they are legal, but am having trouble with the programming.

I have the driver installed (PL-2303 on Win7x64, ver 3.2.0.0) and supposedly working correctly. I have the BF-480 software installed and 'working'. The problem is I can't read anything off of the radios. I have it set the the correct COM port (com5 to match what the USB to serial driver is set to), but when I try to read the data on the radio, it just sits there trying to 'Read Data from Radio' and stalls. I've let it sit like that for over an hour.

Any ideas on how to get this done properly? The cable is pushed all the way in, the drivers are correct, I have the model set for BF-480 UHF and I've tried the frequency ranges from 400-470mhz and 450-470mhz, but it's still not finding the radio.

Am I missing something basic? Does the radio need to be powered on? On a certain channel to be read?

Any thoughts?

redneckcellphone

Premium Subscriber
I have my wouxun set on the frs frequencies for low power and even that is still illegal. And having a removable antenna is also illegal but don't care since I don't transmit lol. As to the baofeng or any other radio they have to be turned on and make sure you choose the correct USB (com) port for it to read the radio

Sent from my iPhone yes iPhone using Tapatalk app thingy

SCPD

QRT
This programing cable is from what company? If this a USB to kenwood style plug or serial to kenwood If it is USB you most likely have a fake Prolific serial to usb chipsets and if you use the drivers from windows update and or prolifics site they will not work cause they can tell if its a bootleg chip or not. Get yourself a trendnet tu-s9 and you will not have any headache. Assuming this is a Chinese noname brand USB programming cable.

trendnet tu-s9 | eBay

Ohh and baofeng does not make 888's Puxing does

here is some more info on the fake chipsets
http://www.eevblog.com/forum/review...d-with-prolific-(pl2303)-usb-serial-adapters/

Last edited:

Kaizmuth

The cables I got (I've tried two different ones) were both generic Kenwood compatible programming cables that I got from Amazon. The have long Chinese names (one is Jiayindianzi)

http://www .amazon. com/gp/product/B008ORT9OY/ref=oh_details_o05_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Neither of them will read the radio at all. I've tried it with the radio on, off, on every channel, etc. and the BF-480 program doesn't see it. I've tried a few different versions of the driver for the cable, but they all do the same thing. Nothing.

Xeno, that cable is a USB to serial port. I have one of those. The programming cables I tried are straight USB to Kenwood connector. I guess I'll return those since they don't work (gotta love Amazon Prime) and try a serial one with the serial to Kenwood connector since nothing else works.

I appreciate the help and suggestions.

I know these won't technically be legal, but they are built much better than your typical GMRS/FRS radios and will be harder for my sons to destroy. Plus they were cheaper than many of the others out there. The programming headaches are negating that advantage, but once I get that worked out, they'll be worth it.

SCPD

QRT
Kai: If you have the trendnet cable and you get the regular serial to kenwood you should not have any more issues at all. That is the exact way I run mine. If you still have issues just send me a PM and I can remote into your system and set it up for you.

Just make sure you install all the serial to usb driver including the trendnet driver and reinstall it.

Kaizmuth

I returned to two useless cables and ordered the serial Kenwood cable. I have the proper Trendnet drivers (they are build into Win7) so that shouldn't be an issue. The cable will arrive Saturday. I'll let you know how it works out.

Thanks.

Drachen_Fire

Ummm.....

Why do things always move immediately to what is and isn't legal?

Oh, and you have to do the sequence just right-

1 - Open software.
2 - Plug in USB end of cable.
3 - Plug in radio side of cable.
4 - Hold option button while turning on radio.
5 - Read/write.
6 - Turn radio off.
7 - Unplug radio.
8 - Turn radio back on without holding option button.

Kaizmuth

Hmmm, I never read anything about holding the option button while turning on the radio. That very well be what the problem was. Oh well. I'm getting the new serial cable tomorrow. I'll let you know how things go from there.

Kaizmuth

I used an old computer with a built in serial port, and a serial to Kenwood cable. When pushing either of the orange buttons and turning it on, I don't get the 'programming' voice and still can't read or write to the radio. Crap.

Any suggestions?

East_Algoma

I had programing issues as well...it boiled down to WRONG Software....I found the CHINA software did not work what so ever. Took a while...but the English version worked well....Im selling my radio....Any offers.

cdesigns

I bought 4 of this radios with the USB cable and downloaded the software on this page 409SHOP LIMITED (HONGKONG)

I have them programmed for GMRS and they work great, I first tough 3.7v battery will not give me enough range , but I was surprise how clear I could hear my wife about 2 miles away with houses and trees on the way.

Status
Not open for further replies.