Programming by hand RS 106 vs. BCT 396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

hojomojo34

Wanted to know if anyone has experience programming by hand the RS 106 and the BCT 396xt. I am a Mac user, and since there is no software available for a mac to program these scanners, I will be doing it by hand. I am looking for comparisons between the two in this regard.

It seems overall, these are both excellent radios, each with their own set of pros and cons and the ease of programming will probably sway me one way or the other. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks,

Dave

rmiller818

One thing of note from when I have done some programming by hand.

The Pro-106 it is easier to enter alpha tags as the buttons are associated with letters (sorta like a phone) just a little different. I find that MUCH quicker to enter the tag than with the 396XT and having to turn the knob through the alphabet to find the letter I want.

So the 396XT may be more intuitive in that manner but I found it took longer than the 106.

Otherwise there are plenty of differences between the two.

soc200

hojomojo34,
not to change the subject, but have you ever tried running virtual box? I would never want to program one of these scanners by hand...and there is NO reason to do so other than stubbornness. Virtual Box will install on a mac...let you run any operating system you want...xp, win7, mac, linux, etc...and it relatively easy to figure out. It's free and very stable. For someone like who likes to use non-windows...virtual box is a godsend for some things. basically...you can just turn on a windows computer (in a window) whenever you need it...run your windows programs, then turn off your windows box or minimize it. you have access to your hard drives, internet, usb, ...pretty much like you were running a complete windows computer. anyhow...just a suggestion.

http://www.virtualbox.org/

Last edited:

hojomojo34

I considered getting Parallels or Fusionware, but then I would have to get windows too. It just seemed to be a bigger project than I wanted. But I will check into Virtual Box. Thank you for the suggestion.

hojomojo34,
not to change the subject, but have you ever tried running virtual box? I would never want to program one of these scanners by hand...and there is NO reason to do so other than stubbornness. Virtual Box will install on a mac...let you run any operating system you want...xp, win7, mac, linux, etc...and it relatively easy to figure out. It's free and very stable. For someone like who likes to use non-windows...virtual box is a godsend for some things. basically...you can just turn on a windows computer (in a window) whenever you need it...run your windows programs, then turn off your windows box or minimize it. you have access to your hard drives, internet, usb, ...pretty much like you were running a complete windows computer. anyhow...just a suggestion.

VirtualBox

pathalogical

I have a 106 and started programing by hand, then used Win500. I also have a 246 (not 396), but no software was used to program it. With the 106 you can do it with one hand, whereas with the 246 you may need to hold down FUNC and scroll to backspace and correct typo or edit alpha tags. The 106 is way easier for tagging !

KI4VBR

Premium Subscriber
hojomojo34,
not to change the subject, but have you ever tried running virtual box? I would never want to program one of these scanners by hand...and there is NO reason to do so other than stubbornness. Virtual Box will install on a mac...let you run any operating system you want...xp, win7, mac, linux, etc...and it relatively easy to figure out.
VirtualBox

When running V_Box, will it allow you to address hardware directly .....for example a com port?

Some of the windows simulators like the older versions of Microsoft's virtual PC had a tough time addressing printer, com and USB port directly.

Just curious to know more about this if you have any experience.

Thanks,
Vince

Status
Not open for further replies.