• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming cable for Maxtrac

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've got 2 Maxtracs I need to program. I'd rather buy a cable to program it. From looking around I've seen cables with DB-25 connectors and some that have DE-9 connectors. Will either one work? The old computer I use to program my radios has both connector types.

This is the cable I'm wanting to purchase, since it covers a wide range of models in addition to the Maxtrac.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
I've got 2 Maxtracs I need to program. I'd rather buy a cable to program it. From looking around I've seen cables with DB-25 connectors and some that have DE-9 connectors. Will either one work? The old computer I use to program my radios has both connector types.

This is the cable I'm wanting to purchase, since it covers a wide range of models in addition to the Maxtrac.
It should be OK. We don't hear many trouble stories about the Kawa cables. I like simpler myself instead of the combination cables, but that's just me.

You'll need to run the RSS on a PC that can boot to DOS and runs slow enough. I have an old baby tower with a Celeron D chip in it that runs XP. I can run the RSS for the GM300 in a DOS window on that one, or boot to DOS directly. Also newer RSS's like the 1225 Radius need the XP machine. Uses the same cable BTW.

It should be OK. We don't hear many trouble stories about the Kawa cables. I like simpler myself instead of the combination cables, but that's just me.

You'll need to run the RSS on a PC that can boot to DOS and runs slow enough. I have an old baby tower with a Celeron D chip in it that runs XP. I can run the RSS for the GM300 in a DOS window on that one, or boot to DOS directly. Also newer RSS's like the 1225 Radius need the XP machine. Uses the same cable BTW.
Thanks for the info. I've been happy with the Kawa cables I've bought in the past. My reasoning for getting the combination cable is that it costs just a little more than the single cable but gives me the ability to program a bunch of other radios too.

The computer I use for programming is an old Pentium II Gateway that runs Windows 98. I use it for anything that has to be run in DOS. If something needs XP then I have an old VAIO laptop with XP on it. I don't know about most folks but I usually only use serial programming cables.

Mainly I just wanted to be sure that it was alright that the programming cable had a DE-9 connector instead of a DB-25.

SteveC0625

Order of the Golden Dino since 1972
Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the info. I've been happy with the Kawa cables I've bought in the past. My reasoning for getting the combination cable is that it costs just a little more than the single cable but gives me the ability to program a bunch of other radios too.

The computer I use for programming is an old Pentium II Gateway that runs Windows 98. I use it for anything that has to be run in DOS. If something needs XP then I have an old VAIO laptop with XP on it. I don't know about most folks but I usually only use serial programming cables.

Mainly I just wanted to be sure that it was alright that the programming cable had a DE-9 connector instead of a DB-25.
The serial card in many PC's of that era had DB-9's anyway so you should be good to go. (BTW it's a DB-9, not a DE-9 for a serial cable of any kind.) If your serial port is a DB-25, adapters are a dime a dozen out there. I usually skip the one piece adapter and just get a short serial cable that has the right DB-25 on one end and the right DB-9 on the other. They're a lot easier to work with and put less strain on the connector on the PC. YMMV.

Good luck.

Status
Not open for further replies.