Programming cable for SDS100 & SDS200?

Status
Not open for further replies.

2wayradiodogs

Can anyone tell me the cable connector types for both theSDS100 and 200 model scanners?
USB to micro USB, USB to mini USB???

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Below are the ports on the scanners. The 100 uses the one labeled Charge.
9903f9244af7b039ac5bfc32c271d370.jpg
b3a42c334d43c33becaaf263da9727ad.jpg

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Type A male on the computer ends.

Mini USB on the SDS100 for programming and charging.

Micro USB on the SDS200 for programming.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
2wayradiodogs, you're trying too hard. It's all standard stuff. You can buy 'em at an electronics supply store or you can buy 'em at the nearest convenience store.

mikewazowski

Forums Manager/Global DB Admin
Staff member
Forums Manager
Just go to any store and buy a regular Mini-USB cable and a regular Micro-USB cable. As somebody said, you're over thinking it.

Reactions: RRR

eaf1956

Feed Provider
I need extra cables.
Each scanner comes with a cable. So if you have 2 scanners you have 2 cables. In other words you can only connect 1 cable to a scanner to program. If you have used Samsung phones over the past few years you probably have several cables already. I know I do. Use to be the Motorola was always around but not so much anymore. Even so I have a few of those from old devices around too.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I need extra cables.
You must be new to all this. I've got cables out the a........ Well, you know. They seem to accumulate. One day you look and the drawer is full of them. When that happens to you, you'll know you've gone too far into it to escape.

eaf1956

Feed Provider
You must be new to all this. I've got cables out the a........ Well, you know. They seem to accumulate. One day you look and the drawer is full of them. When that happens to you, you'll know you've gone too far into it to escape.
Amen

kruser

Premium Subscriber
You need to stick with the cable that comes with the SDS100 due to charging the scanner as well as running the scanner or you will get the UNDER VOLTAGE WARNING on the SDS100.

This can be very true for some cheap cables.
I have a few dozen Mini cables and it is rare I get that warning. If I find one that causes the SDS100 to throw that error, in the trash it goes even if it did transfer data okay.

I've also found that cables with ferrite chokes on them usually indicate a higher quality cable over those without choke(s).
The overall diameter of the wire itself can also be an indicator of a cable that has a really small gauge wire. Those that appear to have a really skinny wire are the cables with the smaller than normal conductor size and may not carry the current required.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
You need to stick with the cable that comes with the SDS100 due to charging the scanner as well as running the scanner or you will get the UNDER VOLTAGE WARNING on the SDS100.
That's good advice. My earlier statement might have been a bit of an oversimplification. Furthermore, some early mini USB cables were charge only and did not carry data. They usually came with wall warts. I don't think that's a problem with cables produced now.

Since the title of this thread mentions programming and not voltage or amperage, I thought I'd bring that up.

2wayradiodogs

I have ordered 2 cables from Monoprice.com and we'll see how they work. Just over a dollars each plus 3 bucks for shipping(ripping).
Item# 8633

mule1075

Feed Provider
And sometimes the supplied cable will throw the same warning which it did in my case. Using the supplied adapter and the cable for my fire tablet it never happened again. So sometimes the supplied cable will fail you just never know.

Status
Not open for further replies.