Programming cable Issue Pro-96

Status
Not open for further replies.

BaLa

I had this problem once before and got it fixed.

But turns out it's doing it again.
It never used to do this

Laptop Windows Vista
GREY Cable GE02D 8369
Iogear GUC232A USB-Serial Adapter (this works fine)

Anytime I plug the cable in the Scanner goes into clone mode immediately.
Regardless of whether the other end of the Cable is plugged into the Comp. or not.

I've tried re-installing the drivers for the Serial Adapter, but it didn't fix it.
Besides It works for my TK-280 and BCD396t.

kilowa22

Most likely you have had a transistor in the device go bad or a short in the wiring and it is causing the radio to go in receive clone mode.
Never plug in a device to a radio with the radio's power on.

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Anytime I plug the cable in the Scanner goes into clone mode immediately.
Regardless of whether the other end of the Cable is plugged into the Comp. or not.

Works as designed. I just plugged my RS 200-0047 USB cable into my Pro-96 and the scanner went into the "CLONE" mode using the stereo or mono plug on the cable. i also tried the older Grey serial cable and the scanner went into the "CLONE" mode as soon as the cable was plugged into the scanner. Both times, the other end of the cable was NOT connected to the computer.

BaLa

You must be confused.

It did not used to do that.
If it were designed that way how would you read from or write to the radio.

They way it is right now. it does not allow me to read from the Radio (using Win96) write to the radio (using Win96), I also can not use Pro-96Com.

I'll go with the first suggestion and start looking for a new scanner, unless somebody has a different idea.

DonS

It's normal for a PRO-96 to go into 'clone mode' when a cable is attached to the PC/IF port. PC software such as Win96 has no problem reading from or writing to the scanner when it's in that mode.

Benzman66

I agree with Don and Doug. I have 2-96s and 2-2096s. When the plug is put in, it switches to clone mode, and that is whether I use the computer cord (200-0047) or even a patch cord from one scanner to the other. It still goes into clone even if the other end isn't plugged into anything else, whether another scanner or the computer. The "brain" of the scanner knows when to upload or download from the signals it receives.

jamesa53

In Win96, under Configuration>Serial Port, are you using the correct COM port for the USB serial adapter?

KC5EIB

Feed Provider
Check the Control Panel - Device Manager to find out which COM port the computer assigned to the USB to Serial adapter.

Then set the serial port in Win-96 to match

Attachments

• Serial adapter.PNG
    Serial adapter.PNG
    48.4 KB · Views: 1,083
  • WIN96 Config.PNG
    WIN96 Config.PNG
    65.2 KB · Views: 1,185

Benzman66

Make sure you have the right drivers installed too! I remember someone in another thread mentioning a problem similar to yours and they had to make some changes to their Vista configurations and get some other drivers. I can't help you on that, I am still running XP on all my systems.

BaLa

In Win96, under Configuration>Serial Port, are you using the correct COM port for the USB serial adapter?
YES

Make sure you have the right drivers installed too! I remember someone in another thread mentioning a problem similar to yours and they had to make some changes to their Vista configurations and get some other drivers. I can't help you on that, I am still running XP on all my systems.
Yes, right drivers are installed.
I attempted to update drivers with same result.

And the USB-Serial Adapter is working fine (as state in my OP)
Right now I'm running a Feed using Scannercast with my 396t displaying tags.
Also it works perfect using KPG49D

DonS

When the scanner displays "clone mode" and you attempt to initiate a data transfer with Win96, what steps are you taking (in the software and/or on the scanner), and what error messages, if any, appear?

BaLa

Sorry,

I plug in Cable, Scanner Displays
*CLONE MODE*

I press Download from Scanner. (in Win96)

Scanner display never changes
Win96 waits for a bit
Then Displays a box

Timed Out Waiting for Header
--
It appears to write to it, but the programming does not change

Last edited:

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
As Keith mentioned OP may have a short.

My gray cable (GE99D3317) came with GRE Data Manager software. 92/2067/95/96/2096 and 97 stay in scan mode when plugged in. Black Bag, home made or new GRE/RS cables puts scanners into clone mode.

Status
Not open for further replies.