Kenwood: Programming cable - Kenwood

Status
Not open for further replies.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I have a Kenwood TM-71 and Yaesu Ft-8900. The Yaesu is installed in my Kia Sorento but I'm replacing it with the Kenwood and moving the Yaesu to the motorhome. The Kenwood will be located under the front passenger seat with the control head on the dash. For ease in accessibility, can I keep the programming cable plugged into the radio even when it's not being used? I've been doing this with the Yaesu in the Sorento ever since I bought the radio.. I simply reach under the seat and pull the USB-end of the cable out and plug it into the computer.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
It’s a real booger to get it back in there, sometimes.
Oh, yeah. I forgot about that. Sometimes it was tough even when the radio was on the table in front of you. Thanx

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
I have found that the PC jack (8-pin mini-DIN) on the TM-V71 and TM-D710 are recessed a bit thus making it difficult to get plugs with molded shells fully inserted into the jack. My solution is to use a sharp knife or single-edge razor blade to trim off a bit of the molded shell so that the plug fits better.

What brand of programming cable for the TM-V71 are you using?

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
Perhaps add the correct toroid beads at either end, or at least before the radio, if things get wonky when you TX.

KK4JUG

Premium Subscriber
I never had problems with the Yaesu with the cord attached but it certainly wouldn't hurt to add them to both radios anyway. I have some that will fit.

Status
Not open for further replies.