• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming CDM via Accessory Port with FTDI RIB-less cable

Status
Not open for further replies.

nt8d09

After several months, and fully dedicating a weekend to this project, I have pieced together from various sources (especially this forum), enough information to make an Accessory Port programming cable for the Motorola GM/CDM radios that will work with the generally available FTDI based RIB-less programming cables with the 8p8c (aka RJ-45) plugs designed to be used in the front Mic port.

Most materials I had found were for the older MaxTrac, and were designs for interfacing with a RIB Box, so I decided to write this guide for anyone else who needs to adapt a modern modular programming cable, to program a GM/CDM radio via the Accessory Port.

I have a couple of CDM1550-LS+ radios with remote heads installed in my vehicles. So taking them out and attaching a head to them on the bench when I needed to make programming adjustments became quite a pain.

The CDM1250, and 1550 at least, do not have a “Mic OFF Hook” pin built in to the Accessory port like the older radios. I had to program Pin 14 (DIG_IN_OUT_8) as “Mic OFF Hook” to use as a replacement for the front Mic ports “HOOK” function on pin 6. I chose Acc. pin 14 because, though it is not assigned a function in the Default profile, the Repeater profile assigns this function to pin 14, and it made sense rather than choosing a random pin for this function.

Map of front Mic port to Accessory port connections
All Mic pinouts reference the standard USOC and TIA T-568 8p8c pin numbering. I have included 10p10c numbers as a reference as the Motorola Mic port is actually a 10p10c connection.

10p10c - 8p8c - Acc. - Acc. Port
Pin - Pin - Pin - Function
======================================
1 - NC - NC - (Not used)
2 - 1 - NC - (Not used)
3 - 2 - 17 - BUS+
4 - 3 - NC - (Not used)
5 - 4 - 2 - EXT_MIC_AUDIO
6 - 5 - 7 - GROUND
7 - 6 - 14 - DIG_IN_OUT_8 (Programmed as “Mic OFF Hook”)
8 - 7 - NC - (Not used)
9 - 8 - NC - (Not used)
10 - NC - NC - (Not used)

Notes on Pins:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
BUS+: For CPS Programming and Flashing
EXT_MIC_AUDIO: Front Mic port pin 4 “Mic Audio” is bridged to Acc. pin 2 EXT_MIC_AUDIO so they are electrically the same, though have different names.
DIG_IN_OUT_8: Programmed as “Mic OFF Hook” to use in place of Mic port pin 6 “HOOK”

I hope anyone else who needs to program their GM/CDM radios via the Accessory Port will find this useful.

Status
Not open for further replies.