programming fire pager

Status
Not open for further replies.

irishman75

Premium Subscriber
Of the good news is, that I got a fire pager, motorola, what I need to do now is find an inexpensive way to program it. I have all the information necessary for the programming, I just don't know how to do it. It want it to receive 154.415, on one channel and 154.385 on the other. I have a "tone alert" model , and I want it to "go off" on 600 and 1800 (mhz I think) I found out that is the frequency that the warble tones are set for, for Baltimore City. This way anytime a "box" comes out it will set off the pager. I would really appreicate any help, I'll even throw in a BCFD tshirt to anyone, who can really get me some good help. Thanks

leftydrummer@comcast.net

ResQguy

Meh
You do know that a Director will have to be reset every time it alerts, otherwise it will play open squelch until the battery dies?

fd2119

ResQguy said:
You do know that a Director will have to be reset every time it alerts, otherwise it will play open squelch until the battery dies?

I thought a Director opened only on the tones, and then silenced it's self after the carrier was dropped?

ResQguy

Meh
Directors have no squelch circuit built in, just the tone decoder. They make great NOAA receivers, though.

Dank

A receiver capable of receiving the NOAA weather radio freqs. There are about 5 differnt freqs that constantly broadcast weather related info.
here is a link to their site
http://www.nws.noaa.gov/nwr/

Hoseman292

You might want to investigate this a little before spending the $40-$50 on active filters for your Director II. Most pagers require a the paging tones to sound for a timed interval. Most tone-tone selective calling encoding methods are:

Tone A: 1 second
Tone B: 3 seconds

Have you checked to see if Baltimore City has a duty officer tone which goes out on every full assignment? This would be a more realistic approach. In Montgomery County our duty officer capcode is B202.
Tone A: 569.1 Hz
Tone B: 634.5 Hz

irishman75 said:
Of the good news is, that I got a fire pager, motorola, what I need to do now is find an inexpensive way to program it. I have all the information necessary for the programming, I just don't know how to do it. It want it to receive 154.415, on one channel and 154.385 on the other. I have a "tone alert" model , and I want it to "go off" on 600 and 1800 (mhz I think) I found out that is the frequency that the warble tones are set for, for Baltimore City. This way anytime a "box" comes out it will set off the pager. I would really appreicate any help, I'll even throw in a BCFD tshirt to anyone, who can really get me some good help. Thanks

leftydrummer@comcast.net

Hoseman292

And the price is right too! I did this years ago with a Pageboy II crystalled to 162.550
with two 1050 Hz active filters installed which worked great because it would auto-reset after the weather warning. It stayed on my top of my refrigerator for many years until replaced by a newer wx alert with S.A.M.E. <<-- Can't beat it.

ResQguy said:
Right, and if you look at this site http://www.iinc.com/ggcomm/pager.html you can see what I mean about a NOAA NWS receiver. Neat idea!

irishman75

Premium Subscriber
I managed to get a hold of a minitor II with the amplified charger

rescue4520

I have one of those Director II NOAA pagers, it works great, but spending that much from them would be a bit foolish. It does not have monitor on it. Its best to pay the few extra bucks for a regular pager, and put a 2nd weather freq in it to monitor on CH-2.

Getting to the pager tones for the city, I want to do the same thing. I have a minitor III with the box alarm tone in it 1500/800Hz. actually I think its a few Hz off because that tone is not really used so they had to use one that was close. It works perfect for me. Since the City tone sounds very close or prob is the same tone I would assume it would be the same 1500/800Hz but that is just an educated guess. Now the bad news is that I have searched endlessly for the filter reeds and since its not used much I cant find them anywhere for the motorola director & minitor pagers I am sure they are out there but very hard to find. This post is rather old so if you got your pager working what tone was it? I would like to know which one worked before I spend the $$ for my own...

joey5342000

hey

leftydrummer@comcast.net

do u know the alert tones and freq for Dalton ga fire department

R8000

Low Battery
Premium Subscriber
Personally, I'd forget about the Director. The Minitor 1 and 2's are to the point parts are getting hard to find. The cost to re-crystal/reeds is really not worth it. The Minitor 3 is also becoming hard to work on as well as they are NLA.

The price for a new Minitor 5 is really not that bad. The Minitor was Motorola's slut product. They would allow non Motorola dealers to sell them, sometimes cheaper than the Motorola dealer could which is a load of crap. Oh well.

Just throwing that out there. It's like Ebay. Sometimes you think your getting a great deal until you see that buying the item new is just about the same price.

I'd suggest just shopping around for a Minitor 5 that allows for scanning, and is programmable...and narrowband compliant.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
irishman, are you in the job at BCFD? Send me a PM. Agreed with the poster above me, ditch the Director and find a used Minitor III or Minitor IV. I'll put some feelers out for you, might have one readily available.

ocguard

Premium Subscriber
You might want to investigate this a little before spending the $40-$50 on active filters for your Director II. Most pagers require a the paging tones to sound for a timed interval. Most tone-tone selective calling encoding methods are:

Tone A: 1 second
Tone B: 3 seconds

Have you checked to see if Baltimore City has a duty officer tone which goes out on every full assignment? This would be a more realistic approach. In Montgomery County our duty officer capcode is B202.
Tone A: 569.1 Hz
Tone B: 634.5 Hz

Baltimore does not use a tone-paging system for station alerting. We use MOSCAD which is silent to the scanner listener, unless you tune into the MOSCAD talk group, in which case all you will hear is digital burping.

Irishman is planning to decode the Motorola Centracom hi-lo warble tone, which is sent over the dispatch talk group just before any box/rescue assignment. It works.

Status
Not open for further replies.