• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming & Firmware for TK-790

Status
Not open for further replies.

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
I have inherited the management of 6 Kenwood TK-790 mobile radios. I thought they were all the CDF build, but after running into problems trying to update the program in one of them, I looked more closely and am quite certain now that they are not, at least not all of them. How do I tell if I've got the correct programming software for each of these potentially different versions of the TK-790?

Can I compare firmware with the programming software?
How do I find the firmware information?

Thanks,

Larry

Re: Programming & Firmware for TK-790

You should be able to program all of them with the same software. What version software are you running?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk 2

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
I'm using:
KPG-44DN RADIO PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE FOR TK-690/790/890
VERSION 2.10
RELEASE NOV/16/2010

I'm running it on a Win7 / 32bit netbook, which I don't think is the problem as it connects, downloads and uploads to/from the mobile radio just fine. So either the software / mobile radio are incompatible or I'm doing something wrong with the application.

Thanks for the quick response.

Larry

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
You should be able to program all of them with the same software. What version software are you running?

On the contrary, you cannot program a Silverado firmware (CDF-upgrade) and a stock TK-790 (or 690/890 for that matter) with the same software. For the stock, use your normal KPG-44 in whatever flavor works for you. For the Silverado radios, you MUST use the appropriate release of KPG-44D FS (Fire Service). There is both a DOS and a Windows version, and I think the most current Windows version is 2.02 FS

Kenwood calls the software KPG44D (Fire Service), and the version number is called 2.02 FS

Just as as side-note, you can have the Silverado upgrade done to 690's and 890's as well, which adds the same feature sets to them. This is a requirement if you want to dual-band with a 790 FS...both radios must have identical firmware.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
Can I compare firmware with the programming software?
How do I find the firmware information?

I just found this in one of my old programming folders...I'm not near one of my 790's, so I haven't tested this to see if it is still accurate (I think this info is older, like from 1st or 2nd generation of the upgrade).

Reading firmware version on TK-790:
Hold 2nd button from left on head as power up = 1st layer
Then press far right hand button on bottom row= firmware version
1C77= 254 channel CDF; if it reads anything else, use regular KPG-44D software.

SUGGESTION: Check firmware on a known CDF-upgraded radio, copy down the firmware version, then compare that to your other radios. If they are from the same fleet, the CDF radios may very possibly have the same firmware version...I don't think there were that many different versions of the CDF firmware. If you are still not sure, try reading unknown radios with both software versions. I have made that error before, and IIRC the read fails if the wrong version is used...no harm no foul...don't try to write anything if unsure.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
lrcrabtree, go to your Control Panel and turn on your PM's (Private Messaging). I am very familiar with these radios, and I may be able to help you more if we can communicate outside the public forum.

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
Firmware

Duster, sorry I missed your post by a few hours. I have checked the firmware version - your steps worked like a charm. It is 1C77. The software appears to be legitimate Kenwood (on a Kenwood CD) The disc is labeled KPG-44DN, the jewel case is labeled KPG-44DK, and the installed software is (from the Help button):

KPG-44DN RADIO PROGRAMMING SOFTWARE FOR TK-690/790/890
VERSION 2.10
RELEASE NOV/16/2010

It is my understanding that the N suffix simply denotes that the software "Narrow bands" all the channels by default?

I initially connected without any problem, downloaded from the radio to the computer and saved that file as downloaded. I copied that file and made some modifications in some channels, then uploaded to the radio. Upon restarting the radio, it no longer has the option of toggling pl tones up/down using PF7 and PF9. It also shows only 160 available channels. Other than that everything functions as expected. It transmits fine on simplex and receives as usual.

Any ideas?

Thanks,

Larry

BirkenVogt

That is because the non-CDF software has taken away the CDF features until you get KPG44D FS and reprogram those buttons along with the command group buttons again. They are not available in the standard software.

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
Correct Software

So, I should be OK if I can find and use the KPG-44D FS software? I can restore those features with that software?

Larry

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
That worked! With the "FS" software I have been able to do what I expected in the first place. Many thanks to your suggestions here.

Larry

lrcrabtree

Premium Subscriber
Well, the programming worked great, I got back to the default Cal Fire load and it's all working as anticipated. Now, I'm trying to customize Group 1 for our department (instead of the local Unit load), whenever I delete a channel I get the following message when I try to upload to the radio:

Operator Selectable Tone with an only OST Name is programmed.

and the big ugly red X...If I simply write over an existing channels data, it seems to work just fine.

Any ideas?

Larry

BirkenVogt

It is a glitch with Tone 14 or 15, go into the OST table and you will see that it is blank, type it back in and then it will program OK. This is a well known bug in the software.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
That is because the non-CDF software has taken away the CDF features until you get KPG44D FS and reprogram those buttons along with the command group buttons again. They are not available in the standard software.

Sorry, been away from the computer for a day or so...What Birken said.

Duster

Supposedly Retired...
Database Admin
It is a glitch with Tone 14 or 15, go into the OST table and you will see that it is blank, type it back in and then it will program OK. This is a well known bug in the software.

Yep, it is Tone 15...the tone field will be blank. Type it back in and you will be fine. You can edit and download to your hearts content as long as you don't close the file. Once you close it and reopen it, even if you save it, that tone field will be blank. Don't know why, but it is a glitch with the FS software like Birken said. And supposedly it is not going to be fixed because CAL FIRE went to the 5710's, so Kenwood will probably not release any more updates to that software.

mrweather

At least Kenwood is reasonable about selling programming software, unlike Mother /\/\.

SanDiegoBill

TK790 CDF with Optional ANI Board

Has anyone successfully installed an Optional ANI Board to the TK790/CDF modded? I have a CDF modded TK790 (firmware 1C77) that works fine until we tell it that there is an Option Board installed to send PTT ID. Once that's done and the board is installed, only the MDC-1200 PTT ID is sent; the mic audio is not allowed to transmit.
I have looked into it extensively and noticed that the Mic Mute and is preventing the operator's voice from being transmitted after the MDC1200 ANI has been sent.
This does not occur with a standard TK790/MDC ANI board installed.

Status
Not open for further replies.