Programming FTOs with Freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
A question about how to use FreeScan to program FTOs was asked in another forum and never answered, so I'll ask it here...

The screen is below...

Freescan FTO - The RadioReference Wiki

It's a little oddly labeled - for example what is 'low limit' and 'high limit'? Is that supposed to represent 'Tone A' and 'Tone B'? As has been documented before, it's important to use the right mode - Auto sometimes doesn't select the correct one. I would assume that selecting 'FM' would be correct most of the time, with 'NFM' only for those places that have gone narrowband. I would also assume that the 'rec out' would be usable for the XT series of scanners, as well as the usual 996T and 15T

It reads as if this is a screen to search for FTOs, not to actually program FTOs themselves (as suggested by the 'limits'.)

The screen above is from our user guide, so anyone can add details to it.

73 Mike

cpuerror

I'm probably going to need to update the terminology on that. Low Limit and High Limit should probably be replaced with Tone A and Tone B as you said. The rec out is for any base scanner..
Going to see about updating that screen shot as well - its a few versions behind.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
I can handle that, Assaf. It's not all that different from what we have in .9j, but I'd suggest waiting until the screen terminology is cleaned up so either of us are only doing it once.

A little writeup on how to use it wouldn't hurt, of course. 73 Mike

[edit] I guess for now the labels on the tone screen should really be ignored; it's entirely possible to have tone a's value greater than tone b, so the labels are a little misleading. For example look at station 16, 17 and 19 of this listing;

Alachua County Florida - the RR Wiki

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.