• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Help: ASTRO 25 Software Doesn't Recognize XTS5000 Radio

Status
Not open for further replies.

hotdjdave

K9DJW - Senior Member
Database Admin
I purchased a Motorola XTS5000 from eBay. It came with several frequencies already programmed into radio (receive only). I want to move them around to my liking and add some more. The radio came with ASTRO 25 software. I also purchased a programming cable. It came with a serial to USB converter.

I have some issues and some questions.

ISSUES:

When I plug in the cable, my computer seems to recognize it, and names it "test" and shows "driver not available." When I plug in the radio and try to read the CP on the radio via File > Read Device... Port > USB, the software indicates there is no radio to read. I have tried reading the radio via the Tools > FLASHport > Read radio configuration, also... no luck.

I've read many of the threads here trying to find an answer to my issue and noticed several comments/suggestions to watch the tutorials that came with the software. When I open the tutorials and click the links, it opens a page in my browser and gives the following message:

" The CPS Tutorials require Adobe's Flash Player (version 6 or later) to be installed with your Internet Explorer browser. Adobe's Flash Player is easily downloaded from www.adobe.com." Adobe Flash Player is no longer available and Flash is no longer being supported. I tried loading Flash players on four different browsers (Brave, Firefox, Edge, and Chrome) and opening the files on them, but get the same message. There seems to be no place to view these tutorials other than from the software help menu (and that doesn't work due to the Flash issue).

QUESTIONS:

Do I need a driver for the cable?

How do I get the software to read the radio?

Do I need to put the radio in a certain "mode" before trying to read it?

Is there an option to add the Front Panel Programming (FPP) option via the ASTRO 25 software?

Are there websites that have the tutorials without requiring Flash to view them?

Thank you.

N4KVE

It came with a serial to USB converter.
More often then not, this is the problem. If my programming cable has a USB plug, I use my laptop with a dedicated USB port. But if my programming cable has a serial plug, I use a different laptop with a dedicated serial port. The one time I used an adapter , it didn’t work, so I threw it out. Now some have been successful using adapters, but many have not due to the wrong chip the adapter used. For old $50 radios, I’ll gamble, & use a Chinese cable, but for Astro25, & APX radios, I will only use a factory cable.

clbsquared

There are a couple of places where you can rely on a serial to usb converter working. Valley Enterprise and BlueMax49er offer that cable set up with an FTDI chipset. If you purchased from either of those two places, the drivers are available from their site.
I've been using the BlueMax49er set up for the last several years without any issue whatsoever.

K2NEC

QUESTIONS:

Do I need a driver for the cable?
Depends on the cable, most times, yes
How do I get the software to read the radio?
File>Read Device
Do I need to put the radio in a certain "mode" before trying to read it?
No
Is there an option to add the Front Panel Programming (FPP) option via the ASTRO 25 software?
No

Sounds like you are having a problem with your drivers/cable

n7maq-1

Premium Subscriber
"When I plug in the cable, my computer seems to recognize it, and names it "test" and shows "driver not available." When I plug in the radio and try to read the CP on the radio via File > Read Device... Port > USB, the software indicates there is no radio to read. I have tried reading the radio via the Tools > FLASHport > Read radio configuration, also... no luck".

You also need to set your port as a com port, if you locate the correct drivers. You will need to know what com port the usb-rs232 converter is on.

As said by clbsquared the FTDI is the best to use.

Jim

chrismol1

P25 TruCking!
If your using a USB to serial converter cable with a serial programming cable, USB read in the CPS is not the one to use. You need to see a COM PORT #. After plugging in the serial converter, you should see the driver installing the usb to serial bridge and assign a com port to the cable should be automatic. When you open CPS read that com port should be the only one available

Last edited:

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
USB is kind of finicky when it comes to CPS that was originally written for RS232 serial ports.

You have to know WHICH USB port is the one the cable is connected to, as has been described already.

I prefer the serial cable to this day. I've had far more USB based programming problems than serial based problems.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I personally use Gigaware USB to serial cables with a Motorola Quantar (and a null modem cable) as well as various XTS5000's and its respective cable. It also works with a XTS3000 and an XTL5000. I use them on Windows 7 and 10. I purchased several when RadioShack was selling out the stores. Note: One of the cables only works on Windows 7. I am unsure why and the only visual difference is the sticker typically found in the oblong indent is not in there. It is probably an older cable, as I have two others that work fine with Win10 and have the sticker. Also, a look at the Com Ports in Device Manager will tell you which port the cable is using while you plug it in.

Hmm...there is something I am unsure about with the XTS5000 and or all of the Moto radio line. I have not come across the issue for my stuff, but I believe if the radio was last written using a newer version of CPS, then that version or later is needed to read/write. Can someone provide some insight on that? I could definitely be wrong.

n3obl

Ø
Database Admin
the usb setting is for the motorola specific cable. Yours is aftermarket so its essentially a usb > serial. need to find what com port its assigned.

vagrant

ker-muhj-uhn
Premium Subscriber
I recall how annoyed I was when I discovered that an XTS3000 cable doesn't work on an XTS5000. There was no reason they couldn't have kept the same cable design. The connector is the same! So I spent someting like 225 dollars on the 5000's cable.
I lucked out when I purchased a 5k and 3k from a guy as he included both serial cables, plus extras.

merlin

You didn't state who made the USB cable and I presume the programming cable has the DB9-F connector.
The USB cable ""MUST"" have its associated drivers installed or it WILL NOT WORK.
The best I have found, are cables with genuine FTDI chipset. Drivers can be had from FTDI website and they play well on any windows system.
I use my cable for everything imaginable with RS232, they just simply work.
My cable I use on an XTS5000r and does just fine, right now on an XTL5000 and working.
I cheat a little, I us a simple stand alone app called USBVIEW. put it anywhere, even desktop and run it.
It shows all USB root,,hubs,,and ports(by number) and IDs any connected devices. You can find the port to set CPS to when connected o the radio. Screenshot shows my FTDI cable.

Attachments

• Screenshot (114).png
    Screenshot (114).png
    445.5 KB · Views: 18
Status
Not open for further replies.