Programming help needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

al7hg

I just got a MFJ-8322 trunking portable radio. Having problems figuring out how to enter talkgroups and basic trunking info--anyone with hints would be appreciated. I live in Citrus County where the Motorola II system is small, 12 key frequencies.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Looks like your radio is a Radio Shack/GRE radio with MFJ's name on it. Appears to be very similar to a PRO-97, which is a radio I own. I've got to head off to bed - got a 12-14hr day ahead of me tomorrow. If no one else chimes in, I'll be able to help tomorrow night.

In the meantime, try this: Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual

It's easier to read manual for us folks that can't read the Latin that's in the original owner's manual. Once you get there, click on the "Programming Trunking Systems" just under "Contents" near the top of the page. As you know, Citrus is a Motorola Type II system, so don't worry about fleet maps (Type I) or any of that stuff.

Last edited:

al7hg

Not really. I went to the link you suggested and tried that.

The scanner receives the programmed channels fine, but when I attempt to find a talk group, no luck at all.

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Try this: Easier to Read Pro-97/2055 Scanner Manual (this just takes you directly to the open/closed mode topic)

Sounds like you're scanning in closed mode, which means you won't hear any talkgroup IDs if you haven't programmed any in. In open mode, the scanner will stop on any TGID it hears.

The cursor below your bank number will blink a "+" if you're in open mode.

Last edited:

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
Also, make sure that your bank AND each individual channel is set to Motorola (MOT).

Bolt21

Spark Chariot Driver
You're very welcome. And yes, they are very tricky. Just about everyone (myself included) goes through some kind of trunking-scanner related frustration at the beginning.

Also, you only need to enter the control channels for the radio to properly trunk track. In other words, the "machine-gun" channel is the only channel needed. The control channel (cc) changes daily or every couple of days, and usually rotates between four specific frequencies.

The cc's in Citrus lately have been:

Also, you probably already know, but don't forget about the database: Citrus County Trunking System, Citrus County, Florida - Scanner Frequencies - you can enter the TGIDs directly instead of having to search for them.

Bucephalus

Premium Subscriber
You need to either program the ID yourself (Make sure in in either (DEC, Hex, AFS) or open up the Bank. Check to make sure your channels are not locked too.There is free software download for your scanner and Radio Shack sells the USP uploading/downloading cable for the PC to scanner. The software is awesome and learning how to manually program the unit will be a big help when using the software.

Status
Not open for further replies.