Programming help please?

Blechl

Not able to receive signal on any of the National Weather broadcasting frequencies. The closed weather tower is around 36 miles or less from my home location. I'm in the city of Newnan, Coweta County and the closed tower in La Grange, GA. Coordinates 33.0412, -85.01807 Station ID KXI76 on freq. 162.450 SAME 013077. I set my range from 20, 30 and 50 miles but hear nothing but static. Could someone please create me a favorite that works for you that I can import into my Sentinel program? I've wasted 3 days trouble shooting and searching Google with no luck. Thank you in advance.

dave3825

Premium Subscriber
No need for import. It's in the full database in sentinel. Fairly easy for you to do. Hook scanner to sentinel. Read scanner into sentinel.

Left side, USA, scroll to Georgia,Coweta, Nationwide.

Look for National Weather. Right click, choose append and select an existing list or choose new list. Then write to scanner.

Or if you really want to import,

Attachments

• Weather freqs.zip
    581 bytes · Views: 6

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Not able to receive signal on any of the National Weather broadcasting frequencies. The closed weather tower is around 36 miles or less from my home location. I'm in the city of Newnan, Coweta County and the closed tower in La Grange, GA. Coordinates 33.0412, -85.01807 Station ID KXI76 on freq. 162.450 SAME 013077. I set my range from 20, 30 and 50 miles but hear nothing but static. Could someone please create me a favorite that works for you that I can import into my Sentinel program? I've wasted 3 days trouble shooting and searching Google with no luck. Thank you in advance.
Check your Service Types. When shipped, as well as when Sentinel is first installed, the only service types that are enabled are Custom 1 (the default for manually entered channels or talkgroups), as well as Dispatch call types for Public Safety: Law Dispatch, Fire Dispatch, EMS Dispatch, and Multi-Dispatch. Each of these categories also have associated Tac and Talk service types, i.e. Law Talk, Fire Tac, etc. Those should also be enabled.

Now, specifically related to your issues with the National Weather Service radio frequencies, those are tagged with a Service Type of Other.
1674104658454.png
Enable that service type & then see if you now can receive NOAA Weather Radio.

As Dave has already mentioned, those frequencies are in the Sentinel database and should be accessible with your correct location & range settings when you are using either the main database along with your location, or if you import the file he provided into a Favorites list that is set to use location control. Note that if you import that file, the National Weather Service system is set as 'Avoid'. Be sure to enable it.

However, the NOAA weather channels can be accessed without being in a Favorites list. You can access them through the scanner's menu even when not specifically programmed. either to scan the channels for any of the frequencies that are in range. or to activate Weather Priority. Weather Priority checks the channels periodically, looking for 1050Hz alert tone transmitted before a warning is announced. This mode can be used for monitoring in the background, even while your other systems of interest are being scanned.

You can also choose the Weather Alert mode which alerts only for those counties where you have entered their specific SAME codes. However, this mode cannot be used along with normal scanning. For the SAME codes to be recognized, the scanner has to be focused on only those codes.

More on Weather options can be found here:

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Not able to receive signal on any of the National Weather broadcasting frequencies. The closed weather tower is around 36 miles or less from my home location.
36 miles? You may need to upgrade your antenna, perhaps an outdoor mounted one. This may be a stretch if you're still using the stock telescopic whip, especially indoors. Welcome to the forums

Blechl

Actually I bought the scanner to use in my truck but later started using it as a base unit. I'm disabled and haven't had the money to buy a 100 ft., of coax and another mast to hold my 25MHz - 1300KHz Discone. I am running my BCD536hp off of a Maco Alpha V58 which actually is a 10 & 11 meter band which if I remember I use to use an Antron 99 out back and the BCD536hp picked up weather and all other bands just fine if my memory serves me right LOL. As for coax I'm using a model # 25400F-PL-150 150 ft., coax jumper UHF male PL259 both ends 400 Ultra Flex cable with the addition of having to attach a PL259 barrel connector and a BNC connector. I do have the proper antenna and coax in my truck and went out to truck to see if it would pick up weather but no luck there neither using a WEP-25 all band glass mount antenna 25-1300 center loaded, 17 ft., coax, 29" high. I can tell you I use to be able too with this same setup in truck and in house. Everything is setup correctly and enabled with no voids etc., and nothing in my area or in between has changed nor has there been any damage to radio, I'm very protective with my equipment. Thanks for your help. If I ever get it figured out I'll let you all know. I know with my base setup I'm probably now going to receive much other than some local repeaters for Western Area Regional Radio System Authority (WARRS) which comes in good, other than that I really not receiving as I should without the proper antenna, I think the coax would be ok since the 400 Ultra Flex very low signal loss and is great for anything over 100 foot. By the way my base 10&11 meter antenna is about 40 feet in the air.

Last edited:

Blechl

Thank you everyone for your help, I took the radio back out to my truck, hooked up my WEP-25 window mount antenna and everything seemed to work, weather broadcast was blowing me away along with the Atlanta (ZTL) Air Route Traffic Control Center. System departments and channels all working good although some of the LOW UHF channels were weak but the Ultra High UHF were load and clear. So my problem is narrowed down to coax connectors? I tried using a 50 ft. RG-58 coax, same type that came with my scanner antenna except my 50 footer has PL-259 connectors as well as a barrel and a PL-259 to BNC coax adapter. I believe the problem maybe lay in the connectors. If it were a 50 ft. RG-58 with BNC connectors at both ends it would work. Please correct me if I'm wrong. Your feedback is important to me, like they say two brains are better than one.

Last edited: