Programming Help/ What am I Missing?

Status
Not open for further replies.

GSPD

I need a little help with my newly aquired BC396XT. When I first got it, I quickly searched a couple frequencies and added them with the quick save feature. I received my USB cable today and tried loading frequencies from RR using Butel software. The current quick programmed channels receive fine, but the PD channels added from RR don't pick up any transmissions. Some of the other frequencies do work(business, fire, a couple town PD's but not RPD or MCSO). This scanner and programming certainly take some patience. Any help or input would be appreciated! I was using the data base for Monroe County NY and the Rochester area.

fluffy24

I have the same scanner as you, and am having problems trying to download frequencies into my scanner. Where on this website do you have to go to download police, fire depts., etc, and what cables, etc., do I need to do this. Thank you.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
GSPD; I think the most common problem folks have about programming the DMA scanners is setting up the quick keys properly. These keys will allow (or disable) scanning of systems, sites or groups. It's a little hard to diagnose this without seeing the programming - that would help other ARC-XT users see what you did. Of course, the other possibility is that you are simply out of range - a little duckie will only carry you so far...

fluffy - you need to get software that will allow you to download. FreeScan is freeware and will work with the 396XT. We host the user guide in our wiki here (note: all links are in blue)

you will also need a USB-serial converter, since most PCs don't have serial ports anymore. This wiki article discusses this in detail...

Connecting scanners via USB - The RadioReference Wiki

You can also go over to the Eastern Canada forum and ask for a FreeScan file for your area, as an alternative to downloading data (which works too...it's just another way to go)

73 Mike

SCPD

QRT
Is there a cheat sheet or shortcut for programming pro 163 & pro164 I try and and only get to the com port ,where do I look for the port that is assigned? I have tried diff ways via wiki info, the manual is almost useless for me. I hate to admit but I am a not a computer wiz, thanks guys Bob

eaf1956

Feed Provider
Com Port

Is there a cheat sheet or shortcut for programming pro 163 & pro164 I try and and only get to the com port ,where do I look for the port that is assigned? I have tried diff ways via wiki info, the manual is almost useless for me. I hate to admit but I am a not a computer wiz, thanks guys Bob

The COMM port they are referring to is the COMPUTER port. Those can be seen in your DEVICE Manager on your computer. There is no assigned COM Port number on the scanner side. When computers had RS232 ports they were usually COM 1 but with USB cables they may be COM 8. You have to tell the software which COM port you have the scanner connected to. FOR EXAMPLE: my 996T is connected to this computer via COM 1 to the rear scanner port using a NULL Modem cable and to COM 8 using the front port on the scanner with the USB-1 cable from UNIDEN. Most of the BUTEL software lets you do an AUTODETECT to scan your com ports to find the scanner. Hope that helps!

Ed
KC9LVX

The reason mine is connected two ways is so I can reprogram things w/o dropping my feed tags. There is no real reason to have to use two ports other than convienence on my part. Actually, I only plug the front port in when I need to program the scanner

Status
Not open for further replies.