• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming help with CHIRP

Status
Not open for further replies.

Seriously_Tho

Using CHIRP to program a Baofeng UV-5r with the stock frequencies on a set of Baofeng 888s radios. Most channels work but a few will Rx or Tx only. Frequencies are easy but confused about tones & codes, that's a little beyond my tech ability so far. Can this be done?

Screenshot from 888 programming tool (I'm NOT changing these settings) -

Screenshot from CHIRP (the settings I AM changing, ch 1-16) -

Thanks!

(if this is the wrong forum area for this question please advise the correct area, will move)

WB4CS

About the tones and codes:

I imagine the reason that only certain channels work between the two radios is because the tones don't match between the two radios.

The tones are called many different things: PL Tones, CTCSS, Tone Squelch, DCS, DTCS, etc. Basically it means that the radio transmits a continuous tone (Example 100.0) and listens for incoming signals to also have that 100.0 tone included. If the radio is listening for a 100.0 tone and does not hear the tone, it will not open the squelch of the radio.

Using tone squelch does not turn the conversation into a secret/private conversation. All it does it block out incoming signals that do not have the same tone as the one you're set to receive.

In order to resolve the issue, you can do one of two things:
1) If you wish to use tone squelch, you'll need to match the tones on each channel for each radio.
2) If tone squelch is not needed (and generally it's not) you'll want to use "none" in the tone mode section for each channel of each radio.

As for the frequencies you've programmed in:

I'm not sure where you're located, but for the US the pre-programmed channels in the 888 are generally not legal to transmit on **unless** you have a FCC Commercial license for those specific channels. Both the Baofang 888 and UV-5R require some kind of FCC license to use, and you must be licensed for each frequency you use. Best I can tell, all of the ones you have programmed are mostly in the Part 90 commercial or public safety frequencies.

Both radios can be used on either the Amateur Radio frequencies **if you have a Amateur Radio license**, or they can be used on Part 90 commercial/business/public safety frequencies **if you have a FCC license *only* on frequencies you are licensed/authorized for.**

There are personal license-free radio services such as CB, FRS, and MURS (as well as GMRS which requires a license) however neither radio is FCC certified (legal) to use on those frequencies. Again, if you live somewhere other than the US these rules may not apply.

Since you said that PL tones are above your tech ability I'm guessing that you don't have much of an idea of what you're doing, which is why I provided the legal information above. It's up to you on how to proceed with that information. It would probably be a good idea to learn and research more on what you're doing, just in case you end up interfering with licensed users on those frequencies. A visit (fines) from the FCC for unlicensed transmissions can be quite costly - in the $10,000+ range.

Again, just providing that info for your consideration. If you already knew this or are licensed for those frequencies, my apologies.

Seriously_Tho

Thanks for the info Brandon. I'm aware of the licensing issues & if we can get them synced we'll do the simple commercial license for $80 or so. Just had to get them synced first. Currently working on my technician class license, eventually I'll be there.

Biggest problem was matching the code terms in one program to those in the other, seemed like apples to oranges. As it turns out the latest release of CHIRP (0.4.0) can program both radios so once everyone was on the same standard they were easy to sync.

Status
Not open for further replies.