Programming help with pro-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
Okay, so I got the 197 and I need a little help with programming. I want to listen to these channels:

Bay Village/Fairview Park/North Olmsted/Rocky River/Westlake

Westshore Region Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Yes, I will be getting the software and subscribing to Radio Reference soon, but for now I am just trying to program in these channels.

I believe they are conventional, so I go to New<Conv. Then I tryo to program in the scan list (01) and then the frequency # listed. The scanner adds an extra 0 at the end. I type in 155.61000 and it becomes 155.610000. When I delete the last 0, the scanner changes to 155.062500. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks!!!

Edit: I am also trying to use the free trial of the software Radio Shack gave me. I got no free trial to Radio Reference, but the software is still working. Could I program these frequencies into the software and upload to my scanner? If so, how? I've alreayd installed the usb cord and the software to my computer.

Last edited:

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
Yes. Simply don't delete the last zero.

Okay, thanks. I'll give that a try.

Does anybody know how to program thse frequencies using the free software from Radio Shack? Are there step-by-step directions somewhere? The only instructions I got were how to download from RR database. I'd like to do it manually from the computer.

Thanks.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
I am sure you see that you have a very powerful scanner. this link is a link to aa easy to understand guide for the scanner Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual You may already have it, but I find the instructions very good; especially when compared to the Japanese translated into English manual that came with the unit.

I know what a pain it is when you can't even get one local frequency entered to see the unit work. This should work.... Simply given, press Prog to get into programing mode. than your frequency and enter. This should NOT change or shift as you are experiencing. Yes there are some frequencies when entered that will shift and you can adjust that via the software setting (not recommended though).

Presuming that you are able to listen to some local traffic there, you software - RS has a promo software that will program the unit that is free to try or trialware, as do ALL of the other software programers. I tried a couple of different programs, keeping in mind that this scanner works slightly different that any of the other scanners including the object oriented Uniden, I found the PSREdit500 to be easiest for me to understand and use. You may want to try a couple of them as well. Most if not all of the software packages will not have any trial to RR here, but you can enrer the data in by hand via the computer - MUCH easier than via the faceplate.

Have fun with your new scanner.

KC4YIN

Premium Subscriber
Hmmm! I just looked a little closer at where you are. I have a son in North Olmsted. Anyway if you have the programming cable, or get one, give Win 500 programming software a try. It as well as ARC 500 and a few others all offer a 30 day free trial period. I use Winn 500 myself.

Jacob99

Premium Subscriber
I am sure you see that you have a very powerful scanner. this link is a link to aa easy to understand guide for the scanner Easier to Read Pro-106/197/PSR500/600 Digital Scanner Manual You may already have it, but I find the instructions very good; especially when compared to the Japanese translated into English manual that came with the unit.

I know what a pain it is when you can't even get one local frequency entered to see the unit work. This should work.... Simply given, press Prog to get into programing mode. than your frequency and enter. This should NOT change or shift as you are experiencing. Yes there are some frequencies when entered that will shift and you can adjust that via the software setting (not recommended though).

Presuming that you are able to listen to some local traffic there, you software - RS has a promo software that will program the unit that is free to try or trialware, as do ALL of the other software programers. I tried a couple of different programs, keeping in mind that this scanner works slightly different that any of the other scanners including the object oriented Uniden, I found the PSREdit500 to be easiest for me to understand and use. You may want to try a couple of them as well. Most if not all of the software packages will not have any trial to RR here, but you can enrer the data in by hand via the computer - MUCH easier than via the faceplate.

Have fun with your new scanner.

Thanks! The directions were easier to understand, and I programmed my scanner!!!

Hmmm! I just looked a little closer at where you are. I have a son in North Olmsted. Anyway if you have the programming cable, or get one, give Win 500 programming software a try. It as well as ARC 500 and a few others all offer a 30 day free trial period. I use Winn 500 myself.

Thank you! I'm looking at Win 500 now!!!

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Just as a FYI - we have some resources in the wiki that will help you along (anything in blue is a link)

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

At the very bottom, you will find a reference with a programming shortcut, and a link to the article that lists all the software known to support the 197. Both Win500 (which seems to be most popular) and ARC500 have user guides that might help get you over the hump of using software to program this radio.

best regards..Mike

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Just as a FYI - we have some resources in the wiki that will help you along (anything in blue is a link)

GRE/RS Object Oriented Scanners FAQ - The RadioReference Wiki

At the very bottom, you will find a reference with a programming shortcut, and a link to the article that lists all the software known to support the 197. Both Win500 (which seems to be most popular) and ARC500 have user guides that might help get you over the hump of using software to program this radio.

best regards..Mike
Mike, that would be PSREdit and ARC with user guide. Win500 has WIN500 - UtahRadio for user help.

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus

fmon

Silent Key Jan. 14, 2012
Sorry fmon but that's not correct. Gommert wrote the ARC500 user guide, and it's right here...

ARC500 User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

There's none I know of for PSREdit500, at least not yet

and yes, Win500's user guide is on the Utah scanning wiki

best regards..Mike
ARC has a User Guide with his software, click Help Menu. Win500 does not, thus members qlajlu and Highpockets put an outstanding guide together for Don.

lbfd09

Premium Subscriber
Sorry fmon but that's not correct. Gommert wrote the ARC500 user guide, and it's right here...

ARC500 User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

There's none I know of for PSREdit500, at least not yet

and yes, Win500's user guide is on the Utah scanning wiki

best regards..Mike

I found PSREdit500 very easy to work with just following the radio guide. I use that PRO-197 easy guide from online mentioned earlier. There is an in application help and forums for this app via a Yahoo group or two. I have even found the author of the app to be very resourceful and helpful for the scanner.

After reviewing the quick start (online i think) I was easily programing and loading the scanner via this software. I even managed to understand the differances between this GRC and the Uniden Object Oriented Scanners. Can't explain it that well but at least I understand it.

Status
Not open for further replies.