• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming ICOM radios

Status
Not open for further replies.

rescuecomm

Got the F43GS off of the internet in "like new condition" for $180.00. The software and cable was an extra $104.00 from a dealer. Got 5 banks of channels programmed so far and the only thing that would be nice would be a way to change pl on the fly using the user set mode. I can live without that feature. It is a nice radio for the money. Maybe later I can acquire a F33GT to have a complementary pair.

KE7TJK

rescuecomm said:
Code03--

Did you get your F33 fixed?

Yes I did.

I received the software from another vendor, and I found out that the original dealer had absolutely no functions programmed for any of the buttons, except the up and down buttons.

I'm still getting used to it; today was the first full day of using it, and it went well. Not as good receive wise as my Motorola, but I'll get used to it. The small size of the radio is an advantage. I'm also trying to get the priority timing set just right so I don't miss anything on the priority channel, but don't have the annoying 'cut out' on another channel. Other than that, and the squelch settings..........

emeth

F33GT User Set Mode

CODE03 said:
F33GT users;

How do you access the 'user set mode'? I need to adjust the squelch, and can't access . Dealer hasn't got back to me with the programmable key assignments, so I'm wondering what the default may be.

I also have the OPC-478 cable, but he forgot to send the software, so I'm stuck.

Radio is useless unthil I can figure out key assignments.

From Page 15 of the User Manual. User set mode is a programmable item and does not come automatically programmed. You will have to get a dealer to do it.

As traumacop says, it has to be assigned

KE7TJK

emeth said:
From Page 15 of the User Manual. User set mode is a programmable item and does not come automatically programmed. You will have to get a dealer to do it.

As traumacop says, it has to be assigned

Thanks.

See my post above yours. I had to obtain the software from a different source, and when it arrived, I was able to find out that the dealer didn't program any of the keys at all.

I have since remedied that, and have been using the radio with no problems, other than the front end of the receiver is too sensitive to noise and bleedover.

rescuecomm

I have observed no problems with the F43GS. My operation is in a small town/rural environment so maybe it hasn't encountered serious intermod/noise. The only thing that would be better would be if you could use the user set mode to change PL's. It asking too much for that type of radio. I am beginning to get addicted to the light weight of the unit. Might start looking for an F33GS to go along with it. The radio feels like a toy after carrying an F30LT or a Motorola HT750, but after a while the F series and the HT750's feel like a brick. If my last acquistion on ebay comes in, I should be able to fix the old Uniden ARU251 and put it back on the air on GMRS. Our old secondary squad repeater on 453.100 croaked last week and I don't have time to fix it right away. So most of my ops are on GMRS and monitoring the local big city boys. I did talk to some of the guys on 442.400 last week and they said it sounded good.

BOB
N4CRX

KE7TJK

I'm still carrying my Motorola MT 1000 most of the time; the audio on it is flawles, and I like how the scan works. It is heavy and big, but it sure is a solid radio.

One thing I've done for different PL's is to assign them different channels. The F33GT has enough available channels that running out isn't a problem, and since they are alpha numeric, it makes it easy. I only have 4 different PL's on one freq pair, each is assigned alpha based on which repeater it is.

Jury is still out on whether or not I'm going to keep my F33GT. I love the small size, and the audio is clear, crisp, and LOUD, but it has been hard to get used to.

I operate in a small to medium sized city/ rural area, so I do get some intermod on this radio that I don't get on the Motorola.

RADIOGUY2002

What about the tone channel enter

What about the tone channel enter, it will help you switch from different pl's, up to 9 different tones.

RADIOGUY2002

Channel Tone Enter

Not a prolbem, you have to assigned to a qucik key and use the side keys to change, make sure you label them, so that you know what they are.

SCPD

QRT
Gmrs

rescuecomm said:
I have observed no problems with the F43GS. My operation is in a small town/rural environment so maybe it hasn't encountered serious intermod/noise. The only thing that would be better would be if you could use the user set mode to change PL's. It asking too much for that type of radio. I am beginning to get addicted to the light weight of the unit. Might start looking for an F33GS to go along with it. The radio feels like a toy after carrying an F30LT or a Motorola HT750, but after a while the F series and the HT750's feel like a brick. If my last acquistion on ebay comes in, I should be able to fix the old Uniden ARU251 and put it back on the air on GMRS. Our old secondary squad repeater on 453.100 croaked last week and I don't have time to fix it right away. So most of my ops are on GMRS and monitoring the local big city boys. I did talk to some of the guys on 442.400 last week and they said it sounded good.

BOB
N4CRX
Bob,I hope you and all the HAM OPS are GMRS licensed ,a HAM license is not for use on GMRS frequencies and before you know it somebody will contact the FCC you and all the other OPS and all of your may loose your HAM license don't wanna see that happen

SkipSanders

Silent Key
SPD, in this case, you could have checked first. He gave his ham call. Look him up, and you can find his GMRS call just peachy keen neato easy: WQDL410

rescuecomm

I had a GMRS license back when most people didn't know what they were. Myself and about 7 other people had a chance to put a GMRS repeater up in a good location. We got a system license (KAE 1586) as it was called in 1986 (one license for everyone). We had to move the repeater in 1994. and since it was a major change, the system license could not be modified. Everyone then had to get individual licenses and mine was KAE6715. After the divorce, I quit using ham and GMRS radios for several years during which time the KAE license expired. When my son and I started using using radio again, I got the WQDL410 call.

Bob

Grog

Completely Banned for the Greater Good
Banned
spd640 said:
Bob,I hope you and all the HAM OPS are GMRS licensed ,a HAM license is not for use on GMRS frequencies and before you know it somebody will contact the FCC you and all the other OPS and all of your may loose your HAM license don't wanna see that happen

Wow, thanks for the news flash :roll:

n2mcs

Icom portables out of split?

Will Icom Portables (specifically IC-F40xx) allow programming outside their manufactured split? i.e., if the radio is designed for 450-500, will it accept programming and receive/transmit in the 440-450 range?

rescuecomm

I have a couple of F40GS-1 400-430 models and they will work up to 435 mhz. You will get about 5-7 mhz out of band depending on the radio. The Icom F40GS series have a number of chip caps that have different values depending on the bandsplit. Do to the availability of the parts and the trouble to change them, I have left mine alone and they are programmed in the amatuer 420-426 range for emergency use only.

Bob

MattRiley

F70

Anyone know how to get an F70 into programming mode for pc editing? Manual says its P1 held while turning on, this isn't working....

I am using a USB cable, set up correctly as a lower com port. Don't know if its the cable or the radio....

Status
Not open for further replies.