Programming In Johnson County, Indiana

t1mberman91

I need some help getting my scanner going for Johnson County, Indiana. I have done it through freescan with RR and I’m just not hearing much but when I turn on the scanner app on my phone its all day long.

Whiskey3JMC

DXpeditioner
Premium Subscriber
Welcome to the RR forums. What make & model scanner are you using? You may be facing a well documented issue known as simulcast distortion. There are a few sites on Hoosier Safe-T listed for Johnson County that are simulcast so there's a chance you're within monitoring range of two or more simulcasting cells. You may be better off monitoring with a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200

t1mberman91

Welcome to the RR forums. What make & model scanner are you using? You may be facing a well documented issue known as simulcast distortion. There are a few sites on Hoosier Safe-T listed for Johnson County that are simulcast so there's a chance you're within monitoring range of two or more simulcasting cells. You may be better off monitoring with a Uniden SDS100 or SDS200
Thank you. It’s been a learning curve. The last scanners I played with were probably 15 years ago. I have a Uniden BCD396T.

cubn

Database Admin
Do you have the right sites programmed in? In Greenwood, I waiver between Greenwood and Franklin being the strongest signal.

But sometimes my 396T misses transmissions compared to my Unication G4.

I can send you my Butel Arc396 mem file for Johnson Co if you want to take a look at it in Freescan.

t1mberman91

Do you have the right sites programmed in? In Greenwood, I waiver between Greenwood and Franklin being the strongest signal.

But sometimes my 396T misses transmissions compared to my Unication G4.

I can send you my Butel Arc396 mem file for Johnson Co if you want to take a look at it in Freescan.
That would be great. I just uploaded the RR programs through free scan so I’m not sure about the sites.

t1mberman91

t1mberman91

I think I know what I did. When I went to upload I picked Johnson County and I did Franklin and Greenwood and then uploaded so I was pulling from both the Greenwood and the Franklin sites. I realize now I pick the one closest to me. Which would be greenwood

Last edited:

cubn

Database Admin
I would just compare the two site's control channels and see which one is stronger at your location.

Greenwood site is quite strong by US31 and westward. Oddly out east of I-65 I was getting the Franklin site better.

cubn

Database Admin
The 396T will only listen to one site at a time for a given system. So if you have control channels for multiple actual sites in one system in your radio, it will lock on to the first one it receives a control channel on (whether that is the one that you intend or not).

I have noticed that I don't hear State Police on the Greenwood site. It has been mentioned on these forums that that channel is prohibited from transmitting on the Greenwood site so if you want to listen to State Police you have to listen to the Franklin site.

Did you put in all the correct talk groups like law control north, law control central and sheriff? For fire: Dispatch, Fire North and South, and the fire ground channels?

I'd be interested if you can tell what you are missing from the online stream? Like if it is police, fire or just certain transmissions you're not picking up.

cubn

Database Admin
This is how I have Greenwood programmed for the 396T (see attached Butel .mem).

Note: I don't have all the firegrounds or other Law Enforcement talkgroups programmed.

Attachments

• SAFE-T GWOOD.zip
    1.1 KB · Views: 10

VASCAR2

What does it mean when it says "No APCO Band Plan"
The FCC rebanded the 800 MHz spectrum several years ago and certain scanners needed a modified band plan to follow the traffic on some trunked systems. When Safe-T switched from Motorola Type II system to P25 trunking the modified band plan was no longer needed.

If you have your scanner configured to P25 for the Safe-T system type on a BCD996T you should not need to do anything in regards to the band plan. The frequencies for the band plan is captured from the data stream by the scanner. If you have your Indiana Safe-T system configured for Motorola trunking Type II or hybrid you might get the notification for “No APCO Band Plan”.

If you don’t have Safe-T configured as a P25 system this would explain why your not receiving the traffic. Last time I was in Johnson County the public safety dispatching was on safe-T with some VHF traffic on NXDN and analog VHF.

Here is a link to information on the rebanding and modified band plan.

GTO_04

The 396T will only listen to one site at a time for a given system. So if you have control channels for multiple actual sites in one system in your radio, it will lock on to the first one it receives a control channel on (whether that is the one that you intend or not).

I have noticed that I don't hear State Police on the Greenwood site. It has been mentioned on these forums that that channel is prohibited from transmitting on the Greenwood site so if you want to listen to State Police you have to listen to the Franklin site.

Did you put in all the correct talk groups like law control north, law control central and sheriff? For fire: Dispatch, Fire North and South, and the fire ground channels?

I'd be interested if you can tell what you are missing from the online stream? Like if it is police, fire or just certain transmissions you're not picking up.
I am not familiar with Johnson County reception, but it might be a good idea to add the District 52 site for Indiana State Police. It is not simulast and the tower is very tall. I can pick it up from Hamilton County on my 396T. It might be helpful for monitoring ISP in northern Johnson County.

GTO_04

t1mberman91

Okay so I got Johnson County done last night. Set the site that was closest to me and it was a little better. Still not as much radio traffic as I would have expected but maybe it’s just a quiet area. I compared to my scanner app and it was pretty quiet as well. Programmed IMPD and had very little luck as was mentioned but I did get some. It’s even worse at my work on the west side of Indy. Don’t even get signal over there.