Programming Individual Talk Group Question

Status
Not open for further replies.

kc8mvw

All,

I've got a GRE PSR-500 and I'm curious about the ability to program in individual talk groups that have alphanumeric designations, i.e. # - ##FF # - ###F and the like. I have Win500 for programming and have not yet found it in there.

Is this possible, or is it for the specialized transmitting radios?

Thanks

Bill

kikito

Premium Subscriber
I'm not sure exactly what you mean but is it by any chance talkgroups in Hex format that you're talking about? If so, you can change the format in the scanner from Decimal to Hex. You can also just enter the talkgroups in Hex and the scanner will change them to Decimal if I remember right. I don't have my radio with me to confirm that.

kc8mvw

I am not sure if they are in hex or not. I will have to check that option out and see if the rig will let me input them as hex.

For example, one is TG 1-5551 and the next is either 1-551F or 1-55F1. I've changed the numbers & letters, but this is the format that's shown on the list that I have.

I'll give the hex option a look tonight when I get home and see what happens.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Removing the " 1- " from the numbers you provided makes perfect conversion from hex to dec: 5551 hex = 21841 dec.

kc8mvw

Ok, so I should ignore the number(s) before the dash and convert the second portion over to decimal for input? Some of the TG references are 10-12F4 (for example).

I will still give it a try tonight and see. It should be interesting to see if it works or not.

kikito

Premium Subscriber
Well, I was partly speculating and partly educated guess since if we're talking TGs, the possible hex numbers are no more than 4 digits with the limits being: 0000 to FFFF.

Maybe the numbers before the dash have to do with another identifier like a zone on the radio channel plan or something.

kc8mvw

Ah,

That makes sense now that I look at this list closer.

Appreciate the assistance, will update this thread if it works out.

Bill

kc8mvw

Converting was the ticket

I dont' know why I didn't see it as hex, but converting it over allowed it to get programmed in. Now to see how well they work out.

Thanks all for the assistance.

Bill

Halfpint

Slightly NE of the People's Republic of Firestone
I'm surprised that no one has asked just *which* system you are trying to program! (Especially kikito.) If you are in Fairbanks you've got, according to the RR Database, a slew of LTR systems, several versions of Motorola Type II systems, and the ALMR P25 phase1 system. Each type of system programs it's own way and WIN500 is quite able at handling each on with it's `Native' setting in the `bar' right above the TG window once you have the basic TSYS setup.

Just an `Olde Fart's' 2¢ worth. {WAN GRIN!}

kc8mvw

Actually Halfpint, I have had a PM concerning that.

As to the capability of the updated TG's, several freq's from the RR database are now clearer than before. I'll just state that there are some updates necessary in the DB.

Status
Not open for further replies.