ProScan: Programming issues (as usual)

Status
Not open for further replies.

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
After 21 days into "trial" period, I'm stumped. Example: trying to program BCD325P2 with Balt. City Fire ONLY-no other city services. P25 Phase I. I open RR, download 4 control channels and de-check all services except Fire, and de-check the not-desired fire talk groups. I upload, but I copy police, but no fire. If I don't program the control channels, there is "nothing to scan". The User Manual details many features but is very light on basic programming-as if the user should know already. the same problem with other counties. I cannot limit the programming to the few services I am interested in monitoring.
Also, I'm trying to program 1 system to handle all conventional fire dispatch from several counties, each county to have a separate GCK. But, every time i try to migrate a conventional group into the tree, it defaults to a new separate system, and I cannot get it to go into the 1 conventional system. It does not permit me to drag and drop into the conventional system. Alternatively, if I try to include the conventional channels as a separate group in the county system, it won't let me. The software does not permit me to organize my scanning program as I wish.
I have 8 days to decide on purchasing Proscan. I want to, but it is more difficult to work with than other programming software I have used for Uniden and Whistler scanners.
Les Polt
K3JTP

ProScan

Software Provider
Premium Subscriber
After 21 days into "trial" period, I'm stumped. Example: trying to program BCD325P2 with Balt. City Fire ONLY-no other city services. P25 Phase I. I open RR, download 4 control channels and de-check all services except Fire, and de-check the not-desired fire talk groups. I upload, but I copy police, but no fire. If I don't program the control channels, there is "nothing to scan". The User Manual details many features but is very light on basic programming-as if the user should know already. the same problem with other counties. I cannot limit the programming to the few services I am interested in monitoring.
Also, I'm trying to program 1 system to handle all conventional fire dispatch from several counties, each county to have a separate GCK. But, every time i try to migrate a conventional group into the tree, it defaults to a new separate system, and I cannot get it to go into the 1 conventional system. It does not permit me to drag and drop into the conventional system. Alternatively, if I try to include the conventional channels as a separate group in the county system, it won't let me. The software does not permit me to organize my scanning program as I wish.
I have 8 days to decide on purchasing Proscan. I want to, but it is more difficult to work with than other programming software I have used for Uniden and Whistler scanners.
Les Polt
K3JTP
Are you trying to drag and drop nodes from a trunking system to a conventional system? If so, that not permitted. Groups, sites, and channels can be drag & dropped in the same system or other systems as long as going from conventional to conventional -or- trunking to trunking.

If you want to reorder the systems (conv. and trunking) then click on the node at the system level then drag & drop the node above or below another system but not in the middle of a system. Same with groups and sites. If you want to drag & drop a group or site then click on it then drag it to above another group or site but not in the middle. If you want to drag and drop a channel then drag and drop to another group. Trunking frequencies can't be drag & dropped to a group and TGIDs can't be dragged to a site. Also trunking frequencies can't be drag & drop to a conventional system.

defaults to a new separate system
That should only happen if a mouse right click then clicked on Add then System. I don't have any other explanation on this. If you can reproduce this, I need to know exactly what mouse actions were done.

Last edited:

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Les it kinda sounds like you don't really understand DMA programming. We have a number of things that can help here, and you can find them in our wiki (blue is always a link)...

At the bottom of this, you will find links to the various Easier to Read manuals, and there is one for the 325P2

As an aside, the Baltimore city system is simulcasted, so depending on where you are in relation to one or more towers, distortion issues - or maybe not decoding the system at all, even though you have a good signal - are both hallmarks of this issue. While there are a few tricks to addressing this, the fact is that most any consumer scanner (except the SDS100 / SDS200) do not, in general, perform very well with this issue.

Hopefully you can work around this, just know that you're not alone in getting bit with this problem

Mike

sonm10

Central MN Monitor
Premium Subscriber
To expand upon the above post...

I never import. I always start from scratch

I think you are trying to create 2 systems, one analog conventional, one trunking?

Conventional - Add system. Add a group to that system. Add a channel to the group. Add a frequency to that channel and name it.
Trunking - Add system. Add a site and group to that system. Add frequencies to the site. Add talkgroups to the group.

K3JTP

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for all your suggestions. Simulcast was an issue with some of my older scanners, but not so with the WS1098 and BCD436. I somewhat understand the DMA architecture (despite my legal background) so I'll plug along and devote part of the long weekend to a better understanding of ProScan. Thanks again.
Les
K3JTP

Status
Not open for further replies.