SDS100/SDS200: Programming issues

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks for the advice. My reference to reset was indeed using the restore setting on the unit's sub menu. I have one more thing to try: in between the first successful write-to-scanner with favorite lists, I switched cables. I wanted a back up cable so I got one off of....Amazon. Always top quality, right? The cable that came with the scanner got stored in the box and I used the Amazon substitute since it was a little longer. I know with ham radios USB cables are not all created equal. Even though the connectors might be the same, sometimes the pin alignment on the chinese aftermarket cables is just not 100% correct. SO...the next Sentinel session will be with the USB / mini USB cable that came with the SDS100. It'll be interesting if that is the fix. The substitute would then go to the car for charging only.

We'll see. I'll post the outcome when I can. Again, thanks for taking the time to look at this.

Cables......
For a 100, the main thing to look for is AWG24.
This gives you heavier power wires to prevent the low voltage error.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B003L1380E/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Reply to this post in the other thread:
In the interest of...whatever, I'll confine any further exchanges to the other thread. The third answer is: Unknown. I don't know the file sizes of the two favorite lists, but they are not long.
The file sizes for your Favorites list are displayed along with your choices whether to download & monitor, or only download:
1678663976734.png
Thanks for the advice. My reference to reset was indeed using the restore setting on the unit's sub menu. I have one more thing to try: in between the first successful write-to-scanner with favorite lists, I switched cables. I wanted a back up cable so I got one off of....Amazon. Always top quality, right? The cable that came with the scanner got stored in the box and I used the Amazon substitute since it was a little longer. I know with ham radios USB cables are not all created equal. Even though the connectors might be the same, sometimes the pin alignment on the chinese aftermarket cables is just not 100% correct. SO...the next Sentinel session will be with the USB / mini USB cable that came with the SDS100. It'll be interesting if that is the fix. The substitute would then go to the car for charging only.

We'll see. I'll post the outcome when I can. Again, thanks for taking the time to look at this.
I have a number of cables like this:
These are from Monoprice, which makes good quality cables at a very competitive price. These have the 24AWG wiring for the power circuit,
which makes sure hat the cable can carry sufficient current to both power, as well as provide enough current to allow charging while scanning.
A choice of cable lengths is available.

(That's the same cable nessnet posted while I was typing. dave posted the same file size screenshot. I guess I type too slowly! ;))

nessnet

Premium Subscriber
Thanks. That link above is not the cable that I got. The one I bought has NO specs as to AWG. Buyer beware.

Then, it probably isn't...

If you turn off charge while on, it isn't a problem.
But, if you have it on, and try to charge while the scanner is powered up, you will get the error.

Remember, if you get the error, it toggles charge while on - off.
You have to go into settings and turn it back on everytime you get that error.

Einsteiger

Premium Subscriber
Not necessarily in order:

The Favorites were 51kb & 12kb.

As I mentioned, I hooked up to Sentinel again using the USB cable that came with the SDS100. I had also rebooted my laptop in the interim.

In short: success Both of the corrected Favorites list wrote to the scanner intact.

I genuinely appreciate the help that you all provided. I can read manuals all day long, but having feedback and direct answers is the best way for me to learn. Old dog, new tricks etc.

Thanks again and I'll try to do more research on any future issues prior to posting another question or issue.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Not necessarily in order:

The Favorites were 51kb & 12kb.

As I mentioned, I hooked up to Sentinel again using the USB cable that came with the SDS100. I had also rebooted my laptop in the interim.

In short: success Both of the corrected Favorites list wrote to the scanner intact.

I genuinely appreciate the help that you all provided. I can read manuals all day long, but having feedback and direct answers is the best way for me to learn. Old dog, new tricks etc.

Thanks again and I'll try to do more research on any future issues prior to posting another question or issue.
Glad you got it resolved.