Kenwood: Programming Kenwood TH-F7 Communication timeout error

Combemartian

Premium Subscriber
Hi, I have a Kenwood TH-F7 and I'm trying to get the MCP-F6/F7 ( downloaded from Kenwood ) to work but keep getting " communication timeout error "
My computer is a HP Z400 running Windows 7. ( I also have windows 10 loaded on it but haven't tried that )
I have two interface cables, one is a home made RS232 serial box and the other is a Baofeng USB interface cable. Both exhibit the same error.
As the computer has no built in serial port I have to use a USB to serial port adapter for the serial box. Both adapters show up as " Prolific USB to serial Comm Port " in the Device Manager.
I have an old PC running Windows XP that has a built in serial port and I can use the MCP-F6/F7 software on that with the RS232 box with no problems so I assume the box is working fine.
I can use the USB cable to program my Quansheng radio and it works fine. The other thing is I can use this cable with CHIRP software and it reads from the TH-F7 perfectly, so I'm assuming the COMM port settings are correct and the radio settings are also correct.
I have downloaded and reinstalled the MCP-F6/F7 software. I have tried various sequences of powering the radio on, starting the software and connecting the radio.
It's not the end of the world but it is a pain having to fire up the old PC whenever I want to change the programming.
Any ideas or suggestions much appreciated.
Thanks.
Dave.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator

Combemartian

Premium Subscriber
Many thanks for your reply.
I can’t see the cable(s) being at fault as I can use COMM port box on my other computer and it works.
The USB to COMM port adapter works fine with other programs such as HamRadioDelux to control my other radios.
The Baofeng cable works fine with my Quanshen radio and also the Kenwood I’m trying to program when using CHIRP so I can’t see the cables being the problem.
Thanks again.
Dave

Combemartian

Premium Subscriber
Yes, set to PC, As I said I can communicate with the radio using my old PC and on my Z400 using CHIRP