• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming Kenwood TK-880

Status
Not open for further replies.

SCPD

QRT
Where can I find or buy the software to program the Kenwood TK-880. Thanks in advance.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
You can also contact your local Kenwood Radio dealer. You will need the KPG-49D software. He can sell it to you. That software will run you about $100. Programs the entire TK-X80 series. I've been using it for years with no problems.

SCPD

QRT
kingpin

Thanks for the tip on using a dealer. I wanted to see if there was another place to purchase it before heading in that direction. I didn't know how a dealer would respond to someone other than an emergency official wanting to buy the software.

kingpin

Trailer Park Supervisor
I've never heard of any restriction. If you tell them you are a ham, you shouldn't have problems. I use all of my commercial kenwood stuff for the ham bands anyway. If you run into problems, let me know and I can help.

SCPD

QRT
Alright

I contcted the dealer who stated " we can only sale radios, software, and other items to public safety groups and city governments."

So, with that said, is there a business, or individual, on the internet that I can buy the program from?

kingpin said:
You can also contact your local Kenwood Radio dealer. You will need the KPG-49D software. He can sell it to you. That software will run you about $100. Programs the entire TK-X80 series. I've been using it for years with no problems.

I think the software cost me $50 from the local stealer, and the cable cost in the $100-200 range.

SCPD

QRT
Are you sure about those prices? I have found the cable on ebay for 9 dollars.

P.S. - still looking for a place to buy the software fot the tk-880. Any help is appreciated.

jonmruss said:
Are you sure about those prices? I have found the cable on ebay for 9 dollars.

P.S. - still looking for a place to buy the software fot the tk-880. Any help is appreciated.

Pretty sure. Yeah... the cables you see on eBay are aftermarket, and while they may work as advertised, you do run the chance of lunching your radio using them, and then you have no recourse except send the radio in for service. Generally, if I'm willing to spend the money to get nice radios, I'm gonna spend the money to get the right programming equipment, too.

I bought my software (KPG-49D) through OneLink Wireless in Oklahoma City. You certainly won't have to jump through as many hoops as you do when you buy Motorola RSS/CPS.

Hope this helps!

k9-cop

I just bought one of the dual mobile/portable cables on ebay for about $20. It works great!

poltergeisty

Truth is a force of nature
Banned
Anyone try one of those USB types out there? I don't know if they have them for the TK-880, but I have seen this type of cable for other radios.

I don't know if I would trust one of the USB types myself. I would think that it would have the potential for errors and you also need to have a driver disk for the USB cable. I rather go serial cable.

Even if a notebook doesn't have a serial port the post replicator could work or a PCMCIA card that offerers a serial connection.

Just figured I'd add food for thought.

icon3.gif

poltergeisty said:
Your softwrae is like a DOS app right?

I was wondering, what kind of cable do you have?

The KPG-49D software runs under Windows. The KPG-46 cable is 9- or 25-pin on end (can't remember... it's loaned out right now), RJ45 on the other. Yeah... I'd've preferred USB (as I do with everything), but it is what it is.

Thayne

No, but dealers like to get as many radios out there as they can so they are nice when they see the green in your wallet---

If you go USB be sure you either get a real Kenwood adapter (KCT-53U) or one made by Aten, as I have seen Kenwood radios be fussy about that.

Status
Not open for further replies.