Programming Livonia into PSR-800

Status
Not open for further replies.

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I picked up a GRE PSR-800 this summer and just kind of slam dunked some stuff in right out of the box.

I’d like to take another shot and get something more organized and since I live in Livonia that was an obvious first to get programmed. Simply put, I cannot find Livonia fire in any form in the data base; can someone point me in the right direction of what category to be looking in?

I searched around a little in the site, but is there a good FAQ's or something that missed to help discern some of the basics one needs to know about modern systems (I know that question really encompasses a thousand other questions), but for example when I first got into the hobby you had more or less repeater based systems with a couple of sites. Now I seem to be 'reading' or perhaps more so inferring that you need to know a lot more about the radio systems you want to monitor. Like knowing tower locations, where a control channel originates from, and more intimate details of each cities set up than just 'what type of trunked system'. Another example (may not apply to any system i will monitor-but) was one poster having to load two identical systems into two banks, but eliminating one of two control channels in each bank to cover both halves of a system.....lot more than just plugging the repeater output in....soooooo, since this topic can get too broad and I’ve yet to nail down a good starting point to my knowledge, did I overlook a good FAQ's or does one just need to start with one radio system at a time and dive in?

As an afterthought, do people share their programmed set ups, like could you email someone a copy of what you’ve programmed? Or is that taboo and seen as lazy? I’m also planning to get my father back into the hobby after he retires in April and it’s a tossup between the 800 and the home patrol for him. If I get the 800 figured out and can share files that will play into the decision (as well as having someone email me something too!)

Sorry for being long winded, but I used to be huge into scanners just as trunked systems got started and I’ve managed to fall way behind and need to fill in the gaps with a little guidance. I did my research on radios and I’m satisfied with the 800, but it feels like I need to relearn how a public safety radio system works!

Million thanks in advance!

Thunderbolt

Global Database Administrator
Currently, the Livonia Fire Department operates on the Livonia Public Safety System. This is an older EDACS trunking system that will be phased out very shortly. The entire city will be switching over to the Michigan Public Safety System (MPSCS). This is the statwide digital system that many communities in Wayne County will be operating on within the next several months.

Livonia will be operating on MPSCS Site 223, which is the Wayne County Simulcast System. Currently, the County is awaiting final approval from the FCC before they completely activate the site. However, if you program in talkgroup 12747, this will be the new Livonia FD talkgroup when the system goes live.

73s

Ron

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
And it should be pointed out that the Levonia system is marked with AEGIS talkgroups - no scanner can decode these.

best regards..Mike

hanlonmi06

Premium Subscriber
Thanks everyone!

So now I am aware of two situations where one cannot monitor their local government. Open sky or skynet or whatever, and now this AEGIS? Are we pretty much left out in the cold as far as being allowed to monitor my local governments activities? I'm not the creepy neighbor calling the cops on everyone or an ambulance chaser, nor do I want to get political, but I thought we had a legal right?

"Livonia will be operating on MPSCS Site 223, which is the Wayne County Simulcast System"

Is site 223 the pin dot on the linked map on the Livonia Link?

A google search of Simulcasting seems like a good place to start learning how MPSCC works? found a link to a monitoring times article...

I want to get to the nuts and bolts of what I'mm listening to but SE Michigan is a far cry from Mecosta County 8 years ago (Ferris state and learning/listening to everything up there...)

kd8ati

Feed Provider
And it should be pointed out that the Levonia system is marked with AEGIS talkgroups - no scanner can decode these.

best regards..Mike

Only the talkgroups marked with a "D" in the mode column can not be decoded. Both Livonia FD and PD Dispatch use Analog, so you CAN monitor them.

Status
Not open for further replies.