• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming M/A-Com P5100

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hello All,
I'm new with programming radio's other than Motorola. I have a M/A-Com P5100 That I'm wanting to program myself for the Analog trunking system here that the electrical company uses, and the Interoperability channels. I have ProGrammer R18 but the radio was programmed with R20. I was told that I could just write to the radio but all would be lost. Which is fine because whats on there now is no use to me. I have the programming cable (serial port). I've put it in program mode (Holding down the 3 side buttons while turning it on) and tried writing to it but it says it can't read the radio. I don't know if I'm doing something wrong or what. The radio Information is below. and yes, It is a very old radio.

M/A-Com p5100
Model: MAHM-S8RXX
FlSH VER: J2R11B01
DSP VER: F6R06L06
PERS VER: 34.00
PROM VER: 01 02/03
FEATURES: 01, 04, 07, 08, 09, 10, 21, 22, 23

ElroyJetson

I AM NOT YOUR TECH SUPPPORT.
Premium Subscriber
DO NOT ASK ME FOR HELP PROGRAMMING YOUR RADIO. NO.
Clean the side contacts and carefully torque down all eight T6 torx screws that secure the cover to the frame. You will have to remove the one screw under the belt clip, and then pry off the back plastic cover with a flat bladed screwdriver in order to get access to the two T6 screws that are hiding under the top back plastic cover.

Don't OVERtorque the screws, but if they are not properly torqued it can result in the contacts not making good connections to the radio so making sure they are properly torqued can only help matters.

You can also use the radio maintenance tools to check and see if you have connectivity to the radio. But only use READ functions. Never use WRITE functions of the radio maintenance tools unless you
have been carefully instructed on what they do and why you would use them.

Doink

There were two known issues that could affect the programming of the radio and by "known issue" I mean Macom (at the time) admitted the problems, issued TSBs and provided new parts.

First of all you said you put it in program mode by holding down all three side buttons but did you notice the radio display? Does it show all blacked out or say its in program mode? The little rubber pad under the PTT lever would get super soft and not press down on the switch popple underneath. If you depress the PTT all the way and you can't get a firm click or detent, the radio will not go into program mode no matter how hard you press the PTT.

Secondly, the first generation of the P5100 radios had a light grey front housing. This plastic was exceptionally weak and brittle, particularly around the nuts which secured it to the rest of the radio. New, darker grey housings were made that held up much better or a P7100 housing will work as well. If you look at the top of the radio in front of the switches you may see a slight gap between the front housing and rear chassis. Squeezing that closed will restore the internal electrical connection between the front cover (UDC pins, top and side switches) and the radio. For a cheap and quick semi-permanent fix, wrap a good electrical tape (like 3M's 33+) around the top nice and tight.

TDR-94

Ahhh! I have one of those light grey faced P5100's ! Is the plastic really that weak?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
It's not THAT bad but it won't last as long as any other color cover.

The first place that cracks is right behind the speaker mic attachment lug (the metal circular feature inset into the side of the cover) under the accessory connector. The crack happens on the back side of that piece, toward the frame.

I've been able to break the light grey covers by squeezing them in my hand once they've been in use for a while. But not while they're installed on the radio.

I have about 60 of those light grey covers, factory new in the wrapper. At the very least they're worth something for their pristine condition rubber PTT pads.

I also have plenty of the regular black covers, both system and scan model types. Used but in very good shape.

TDR-94

The first place that cracks is right behind the speaker mic attachment lug (the metal circular feature inset into the side of the cover) under the accessory connector. The crack happens on the back side of that piece, toward the frame.

It's been brought up before that all the radios with those similiar style cases develop this issue. What's most likely the culprit?

Does the cracking start from the inside of the case then outward? Is it the way the metal circular snap on lug is assembled into the case that causes stress to the plastic? Does it result from snapping on and off speaker mics etc.. Is it most likely seen on fairly worn radios vs. newer condition due to the aging of the plastic?

ElroyJetson

Premium Subscriber
It's just a second-rate design. Not enough material in that high stress area.

I've seen it crack there on radios that are NEVER used with a speaker-mic. So the stress of a speaker-mic being attached is not a requirement for the break to occur.

Status
Not open for further replies.