Programming Manual - BC346xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
I have been trying for most of the day trying to program a Uniden BC346XT. I downloaded the manual and it was a lot easier to go through than the manual from Uniden. I had read not to use the cd disk. No problem there as it would not even load or run.

I am so confuzed now, not sure where to go. The scanner came with nothing in it. All blank systems. Really doesn't matter as for that. I am just trying to program 4 frequency's for trunking. I can get the conventional freq's loaded for trunking, but I must be leave some steps out as I am unable to get the trunking to work.

I can listen to each freq and hear talk, but i can;t see the ID running, even tho I had loaded them. So i am guessing that I missed a step or two or got them mixed up.

Any help would be appreciated for a newby to the new setups and programming.

Thanks

ka3jjz

Wiki Admin Emeritus
Let's start with precisely which trunking system you want to hear. They're all listed at the bottom of...

Shawnee County, Kansas (KS) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

(Keep in mind that anything blue is a link)

Now right off the bat there are 2 systems the 346 won't handle - KSICS and Topeka/Shawnee P25. These are digital and that radio won't decode these. You need a digital trunktracker for these.

If you are programming the other Topeka system, and reading the Easier to Read manual, then pay attention to the section on Motorola Systems. Also keep in mind that you will need to assign at least 1 site quick key and enable it to scan properly. This is because all trunk scanning is done on the site level on these radios.

If what I just said was greek, then perhaps it's time to back up a little and keep this article from our wiki handy. It has links to just about everything you will need to know.

Program your DMA Scanner - The RadioReference Wiki

It should be mentioned that most folks don't program these radios manually - they start off using the freeware FreeScan and getting a USB/serial cable. These topics are also linked in the above article

Mike

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
Thanks very much, ka3jjz.

I had not seen the first link, but seen parts of it on another link.

For some reason, I did not see the 2nd link either. I either over looked it or just plain didn't see it.

I now have some more reading to do today and hopefully I will be up and running.

I appreciate your quick response and thanks again.

Blind_Shadow

Feed Provider
Grrrrrrr......

Been up since 2:30am, trying to manual program this BC346XT scanner. Thanks to new links, I did get some new info which help some. However, I am still unable to get the trunking system to work ( Motorola II ).

It is either way over my head, or I have a block that is not letting me to comprehend the instructions.

I keep checking each time I program it and everything looks fine. Scanning for the ID numbers. Nothing shows up and no talk. When I follow along on the conventional set up with the same trunked
frequencies, I can hear the whats going on. Also listening on another scanner, one with the trunk frequencies in conventional mode and the BC346XT in the trunked mode, I hear nothing on the 346 trunked mode.

I know I am doing something wrong and/or leaving something out, but at a loss as to what it is.

I also now have access to the BCD396xt Apco 25 scanner. It looks like the programming would be similar except for the p25 digital set up. But again, it does not have my local area and I will have to manual program them in as analog until all systems move over to digital.

Any other suggestions or ideas?

Thanks....

Status
Not open for further replies.