Programming Maps for my 396XT

Status
Not open for further replies.

KM4WLV

I know this isn't technically not a shack or equipment photo, but it has to do with my 396XT so that's why I'm posting this here. For each system in my 396 I've got one of these made to help keep up with where things are. In addition to saving it on my laptop (and backed up to my external hard drive) I keep copies on my Note 3.As you can see on the top row the different color boxes represent what the talkgroup is, it's status, etc. In each block you see the TG name, under the name is the TGID and under the TGID is the System Number/Channel Number.

On the left side this is how to "decode" those blocks:
- 11-G1 : 11 is the system QK and G1 is the Group QK
- RFD (EMS, LAW, SFD, etc) : Agency/Department(s) use. RFD stands for Rural Fire
Departments, SFD stands for Salisbury FD, etc.
- Under the RFD and SFD blocks you'll see 12-20, 21-30, etc. These are the OPS talkgroups located in each group. I've broken them up like this to match/mimic how our FD radios are programmed. Also in each of those groups you'll notice that the RFD, EMS, and FD talkgroups are repeated as the first 3 TG's in each group. Our radios were programmed like this so if we're using lets say OPS 25 we still had quick access to our dispatch channels and didn't have to change zones.

Programming my 396 like this makes it easier to know where things are since I've about got the fleetmap memorized. On the 396XT on the top line of the display it's labeled to alternate between "Z11 SALISBURY and Z11-G1 RFD 12-20".

If you guys have any questions let me know. If there is a better place this could be posted please let me know.
** I'm sorry it's so fuzzy. I've tried adjusting it and it's not really getting any better.**

Picture of the display on my 396XT showing the Z11-G1 display referenced above

Last edited:

b7spectra

EMS Dispatcher
I've done one of those for my 996 in my truck and keep it on the sun visor. Makes it easier to remember just who is where with 35 systems in the radio! Never thought about color coding it though! Nice job!

BigLebowski

Premium Subscriber
I like it....

I started carrying zone numbers over to my scanners as well... much easier to remember what is what when everything is in the same format, especially with 100 quick keys assigned in my 536 plus additional systems that aren't assigned.

KM4WLV

I like it....

I started carrying zone numbers over to my scanners as well... much easier to remember what is what when everything is in the same format, especially with 100 quick keys assigned in my 536 plus additional systems that aren't assigned.

Thanks for the compliment Jake. And you're 100% right in carrying over zone numbers/zone formats from radios to scanners. You couldn't really do that back in the days of the "banked" scanners & that's why I really like Uniden's DMA architecture. It pretty much gives you free reign on how you do what. Working around the number tags is a little different but it's workable.

Glad you like the "map". I've got a blank "template" that I keep for use when setting up a new system. I can send you a copy of it if you want. If so, shoot me a PM with whatever email address you'd like it sent to.

Status
Not open for further replies.