• To anyone looking to acquire commercial radio programming software:

Please do not make requests for copies of radio programming software which is sold (or was sold) by the manufacturer for any monetary value. All requests will be deleted and a forum infraction issued. Making a request such as this is attempting to engage in software piracy and this forum cannot be involved or associated with this activity. The same goes for any private transaction via Private Message. Even if you attempt to engage in this activity in PM's we will still enforce the forum rules. Your PM's are not private and the administration has the right to read them if there's a hint to criminal activity.

If you are having trouble legally obtaining software please state so. We do not want any hurt feelings when your vague post is mistaken for a free request. It is YOUR responsibility to properly word your request.

To obtain Motorola software see the Sticky in the Motorola forum.

The various other vendors often permit their dealers to sell the software online (i.e., Kenwood). Please use Google or some other search engine to find a dealer that sells the software. Typically each series or individual radio requires its own software package. Often the Kenwood software is less than $100 so don't be a cheapskate; just purchase it.

For M/A Com/Harris/GE, etc: there are two software packages that program all current and past radios. One package is for conventional programming and the other for trunked programming. The trunked package is in upwards of $2,500. The conventional package is more reasonable though is still several hundred dollars. The benefit is you do not need multiple versions for each radio (unlike Motorola).

This is a large and very visible forum. We cannot jeopardize the ability to provide the RadioReference services by allowing this activity to occur. Please respect this.

Programming MTX 9250 Help!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
My friend and I both have MTX9250s, we are needing to program them for ham use.
he has bought two different cables off of ebay (one USB and one comm cable) both of our radios with both of those cables using CPS 2.00.02 get the error "incomplete response from radio."

Wondering if it was an issue with the cables he had I purchased a cable for my Motorola RIB. I got the new cable in today and I am still received the same error. Wanting to make sure it was not a ribless cable I hooked it up to a DB9 to DB25 converter and got the error saying to check and make sure the RIB was connected.

So, any ideas where to go from here?

Thanks for the help! I've never had so many issues trying to program any of my /\/\ radios before!

talviar

A complete # off of your MTX9250 might be helpful. There are 2 variants of MTX8250/MTX9250. . . One is privacy plus, the other is LTR. If your software is for one and you attempt to read the other type radio, you get bizarre error messages popping while trying to read the radio.

As far as cables, I have used Moto rib version, Moto ribless version, and after market ribless version. All worked.

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Model number off of my radio is - AAH25WCH4GB6AN
Firmware - 1.03.66

talviar

Sorry about that. I was a tiny bit off base on this one.
MTX 8250 came in 2 variants (LTR / Privacy Plus)

Looking the Model # up in the service manual shows 900 MHz was privacy plus only.

As long as you have the Privacy Plus Trunking programming software you should be good with that radio. I have ran the software (v 2.03 though) on Win 7 systems using 32-bit processors.

Unknown if it works on 64-bit. My programming station at work is 32-bit.

Things to check first-
Make sure your cable is good. If it came with a DB25 connector on it, I would suspect it's for a RIB.

Almost all of the aftermarket Ribless cables I have encountered are DB9.

The Moto Ribless cables came with a DB25 and would work either with an adapter to DB9 to the computer, or plug into a rib and work.

Also-make sure the mic connector on the side of the radio is absolutely clean. run it against a pant leg really hard to make sure there is nothing on the contacts. I have had lots of problems with oxidation on the contacts and even though they appear clean and shiny, there is enough "stuff" on the contacts to not make good contact with the pins on the programming cable.

Good luck!

TLF82

Premium Subscriber
Ok, thanks for the info. I am running a 32 bit system.

Do you need to put the radio into a clone or program mode before you can write to the radio? I read that somewhere else...

talviar

Nope.

Just connect the cable to the radio, and to either the RIB or Serial Port (depending on variant of cable) and make sure the comport is set in the software and hit read radio. Can't remember exact sequences software is on work system and I am at home.

I maintain an antique Smartnet trunking system and still have lots of MTX8250's come thru for programming.

rootphreak

I've got 2 MTX9250's that I'd like to program to 902. I have a ribless USB programming cable with a modified (and unmodified) version of MTPR CPS R02.03.00 kit number HVN9067.

The comm port is correct. when trying to read the radio it says: "Incomplete response from the radio".

It does this whether the radio is connected or not. I believe it maybe a software issue. But has anyone found a fix or workaround?

KJ4CYM

Feed Provider
Try it with an older 32 bit computer. I can program mine with XP SP3 32bit.

I am however having another issue. I can't seem to clone any radios due to not having the system key... (of course, I got them off EBay!). Is there any way to reset the trunking settings to allow it to clone the conventional settings?

radioman2001

New York North Carolina and all points in between
Go to Batlabs and make the Key you need with notepad. Reset all setting by removing all the trunked systems, add a new one, and there is info on that there too. If you can't get the last one out and you must keep a trunked system in the radio make it system 1. Then you can always program, clone,etc.

Status
Not open for further replies.