Programming my 996t in New Jersey

Status
Not open for further replies.

user4950

This is my sixth scanner and it has me stumpted. I've read the manual, the Pop Comm insert that came with the manual, searched the forum for answers and still could not correctly hand program the unit. Group and Site quick keys were my undoing. Worked on some and not on others, no matter what I did. The manual is rather short about their function and operation.
I purchased the Butel basic software and tried to connect the supplied PC cable to my tower PC or my laptop. Is this some Uniden joke? The cable doesn't fit either device.
Wish I still had the 796 that was stolen.
Is there anyone in NJ who can assist me in hand or software programming this Rubik's cube? I'm in West Orange.

Sybex7254

If you become a paid member of this site and you'll be able to download the frequencies you want directly from RR into the Butel software. It works quite well and would eliminate a lot of the guess work for you.

It took me a while to total understand my 396 when I first got it but once you get the knack of the groups and all, you'll appreciate it more.

user4950

If you become a paid member of this site and you'll be able to download the frequencies you want directly from RR into the Butel software. It works quite well and would eliminate a lot of the guess work for you.

It took me a while to total understand my 396 when I first got it but once you get the knack of the groups and all, you'll appreciate it more.

The problem is the included pc cable doesn't fit into a pc tower or laptop computer. I intended to become a paid member to use the sofware but i can't connect the devices.

Deeke

If your computer doesn't have a rs232 port, and you have usb ports, you need a usb to rs232 adapter.
I found mine on ebay a while back for $4 shipped.

You could temporally program in just the control channels by hand and use the search option to use the scanner until you can get eveything you need to program it the way you want to.

Last edited:

user4950

I never knew scanning could be so much fun! LOL. I went to the dealer and purchased the correct cable. Before connecting it I put the Butel Cd in my tower pc-whirling around but nothing on my screen,tried again and again-same result.
Put the Cd in my 6 month old laptop-install ran then asked for device driver-laptop then went into and continues crash dump.

Status
Not open for further replies.