Programming My BC246T For YYZ

Status
Not open for further replies.

FighterPilot

Hello
I'm fairly new to trunking but not that new to scanning. My question is I'm heading to CYYZ in Jan with my Uniden BC246T and already have it programmed for the easy stuff like Dep., Arr., Tower, ATIS etc. However I would like to program it for the Air Canada Trunk System: Air Canada (Pearson International Airport) Trunking System, Toronto, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies

My problem is I'm having trouble setting it up. I have created a new MOT system, created a 800Mhz standard now I don't know what to do. Do I add a new freq, like 852.72500 or the 105.88 one?
I think I'm getting confused with some of the terms used. Would it be possible for someone to help walk me through adding one talkgroup, I think once I figure one out I'll be able to add the rest.

Thanks

Command30

One more question... can you program the four primaries in and select "Control Channel only" when setting this up? I live right next to YYZ and get upgraded TGIDs if I can get this programmed in...

Forts

Mentor
Database Admin
Yes you should be able to use Control Channel Only mode. Enter the 4 control channel frequencies listed in the database (852.72500, 852.82500, 853.05000, 853.15000) and you should be able to start tracking right from there. Have the scanner in ID Search mode vs ID Scan mode and you should start hearing activity. If you find it doesn't want to trunk properly I seem to have a vague memory that this system is maybe a splinter system... so if it isn't working for you try changing the system type from 800mhz Standard to 800mhz Splinter.

Once you have it going you can just store the talkgroups as they pop up or go ahead and enter them all manually. You may want to give FreeScan or another software platform a whirl too as it makes life a whole lot easier, especially when entering alpha tags.

pathalogical

It IS a splinter system as Forts said...ya beat me to it !!! Also it is a low power system and you need to be fairly close to YYZ to hear that system. Once you get a couple of KMs away it just fades out. Going back to the original post for FighterPilot, make sure you select 800 MHZ SPLINTER when programing before you arrive, otherwise you're not gonna hear anything. More info here Toronto Pearson Airport Frequencies and be sure to add in Peel Region Trunking System, Peel, Ontario - Scanner Frequencies which has more airport stuff. Hope this helps...

Sooo.....does your username suggest you'll be arriving in a particular type of aircraft ? :)

FighterPilot

Thanks everyone for the help! So if I have this completely figured out: I'd create a new system, make sure it's splinter, set in the four red control frequencies, then create a group if I want to input the already existing TGID's in DEC. form like 16=Ramp, 32=Ramp, 48=Baggage, etc? Or if I don't feel like entering all the ID's just leave it on ID Search?

As for whether or not I'm arriving in an C/F-18, unfortunately not, just a Dash-8. I'm a commercial pilot just not for the military or AC/AC Jazz. :D

Thanks again

torontokris

Premium Subscriber
Yes use id search if you dont enter the id's or just to find new ones not listed.

The Air Canada system is fairly boring... Ramp baggage etc (as you can tell by the ID's).
And yes very weak signal other airlines were going to use it but in testing found too many dead spots even in the airport.

I agree with pathalogical put in peel system (pia talkgroups)

You can also use "freescan" to program the scanner.

Command30

Sounds good, will give it a shot. Let me know if there's any other "unknown" YYZ repeaters. My scanner shack is roughly 5 km away and work even closer. I'm intricately familiar with the apron ops ;)

Command30

Anybody know where the repeater is located? Good signal up at the north end by FedEx but terrible on the other side of the 427 (Dixon/Carlingview ways)

Status
Not open for further replies.