Programming: Next Step?

Status
Not open for further replies.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
OK, I've updated to 1.07.03. I see according to the Easy Instructions that I have to first use the Menu
button, go to Program System, choose New System and then select System Type. Here is where I have to ask. The Easy Instructions say if you choose lets say P25, you are LOCKED IN and it can't be changed?
I first have to ask, if you do a RESET, can you erase that choice if needed be??
I went to a local Long Island Scanner Groups website and see that almost ALL Suffolk County PD is using a "TRUNKED" system, so I believe its a good choice to choose P25?? Then if I choose P25, I am given Standard Trunk or One-Freq Trunk. If I choose Standard Trunk, I'm given three more options:
Edit Name, Edit System Option and Edit Site?
If all else fails, I hoping I can reset to try again or possibly rename something if I called it wrong to begin with? Help!

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
OK, I've updated to 1.07.03. I see according to the Easy Instructions that I have to first use the Menu
button, go to Program System, choose New System and then select System Type. Here is where I have to ask. The Easy Instructions say if you choose lets say P25, you are LOCKED IN and it can't be changed?
That is correct. If you create a system, using the wrong system type, you cannot change it later. You would need to delete it and start again.
I first have to ask, if you do a RESET, can you erase that choice if needed be??
No.
I went to a local Long Island Scanner Groups website and see that almost ALL Suffolk County PD is using a "TRUNKED" system, so I believe its a good choice to choose P25?? Then if I choose P25, I am given Standard Trunk or One-Freq Trunk. If I choose Standard Trunk, I'm given three more options:
Edit Name, Edit System Option and Edit Site?
If all else fails, I hoping I can reset to try again or possibly rename something if I called it wrong to begin with? Help!
P25 is not the correct choice at all times.
Look at the Suffolk County page in the database: Suffolk County, New York (NY) Scanner Frequencies and Radio Frequency Reference

Suffolk County itself is on a Motorola Type II system:
Suffolk County Trunking System, Suffolk County, New York - Scanner Frequencies
A number of the other cities are also on that system.

Suffolk County does appear to have a new P25 system, Suffolk County (Project 25) Trunking System, Various, New York - Scanner Frequencies , but the database if showing only one talk group identified & entered. They may be beginning the transition to a new system, in which case you'll see listed ID's used on the Type II system showing up on the P25 system. The ID#s will be different, but the descriptions will indicate the usage once these have been verified and submitted.

Babylon shows to use both the system above, as well as their own system, which is a P25 system:
Babylon Town Trunking System, Babylon, New York - Scanner Frequencies

East Hampton shows to have it's own Motorola Type II system:
East Hampton Public Safety Trunking System, East Hampton, New York - Scanner Frequencies

Rather than trying to manually create these systems, why not just append them from the main database?

Do your database update in Sentinel first, so that you can have the latest information available.

Now, in the upper left corner of the left window in Sentinel, click on US to expand the list of states.
Scroll down to New York, and click on that to expand the list of counties in your state.

Scroll down to Suffolk County, and click on it to expand.
You'll see three folders- Nationwide, Statewide, and Local Systems.
Click on Local.

The one labeled in the list as "Suffolk County" (within the Local Systems group) is all the conventional frequencies listed in the database for cities in your county. Right click on it, then select Append, to add it to your existing, or a new, Favorites list.

You'll also see the trunked systems I mentioned above. You can also append those.

Once you have them added to a Favorites list, you can edit them in Sentinel, to take out what does not interest you, as well as add anything elsoe that you know is used, but not in the database.

jrscpu2004

Premium Subscriber
Thank you for replying. Unfortunately, it sounds like Greek to me. No offense intended either. I just don't understand the whole system setup I guess. I was able to remove that P25 system I tried to setup earlier. I did that by using Free Scan's "uploading programming" and then changing the Bullet Point from, "Replace any existing system by the same name, add remaining" to the "Erase All System & Settings" Bullet. I don't see my P25 system that I was attempting earlier.
I went into Search for: and choose Service Search, then scrolled down to FRS/GMRS/MURS and let it do a search within the database's range. It stopped and opened a frequency(channel 20) @ 462.6750. I choose to save it and named it Channel 20. Now if I choose to use FreeScan's Uploading Programming, it goes and opens that particular channel. I believe this particular channel is a Ham station. I think I made progress but it still shows SO: & GRP: with no information in them.

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Sorry,
I was under the incorrect impression that you had a Home Patrol. Obviously, that's wrong, since you mentioned using FreeSCAN. My bad.

However, try using the EZ-Grab feature in Sentinel to cut & paste from the database page into the software. The user guide is in the Wiki:
FreeScan User Guide - The RadioReference Wiki

hiegtx

Mentor
Premium Subscriber
Which scanner do you have? Your initial reference to version 1.07.03 is so similar to that of a version of Sentinel, I incorrectly thought you were using an HP series Uniden scanner.

ofd8001

Premium Subscriber
As mentioned in some responses to your other posts, you might be better off by being a premium subscriber if nothing else for just 180 days to get your initial programming done.

By using your software to inport data directly from the RR database, rather than copy/paste or easy grab, fewer errors are likely.

Status
Not open for further replies.