Programming Ohio MARCS

Status
Not open for further replies.

Boyo

I recently purchased a BCD396t and am wanting to scan Ohio MARCS, I am using freescan to program the scanner but am unsure of how to go about programming the MARCS system. I've tried to find everything I can about it, and joined the Ohio_MARCS yahoo group, but it seems to be fairly quiet. I'm fairly new to all this so any help at all would be appreciated.

W1RHW

Premium Subscriber
I will try to explain it as easily as possible to get you started...

What you need to first do is program a new system. Obviously the system will be for MARCS. Make sure it is a Motorola Type II Trunking system

Next, you need a new site. A trunking site is essentially a repeater connecting to the trunking system with multiple inputs and outputs. Under the RR database, find the site nearest you and program that as your sit. If you plan to travel with your 396T, you need to program all the sites that will be nearest to your travel path so that you always have reception

Finally, you need a group to hold your talkgroups. Program a new group, then enter the talkgroups from the MARCS system you would like to hear. Obviously, I think you will want the OSP post nearest to you.

The only word of advisement is that because of the way the MARCS system is, there is a small caveat when choosing groups. To be able to hear certain talkgroups, a user that has the talkgroup programmed on their MARCS radio AND is transmitting or listening to that group needs to be connected to the site tower you are listening from. So don't expect to be listening to Wayne County OSP post 85 all the way down in Hamilton County (unless of course a member from Post 85 is talking to dispatch all the way down in the same Hamilton County site.

I know this is very basic, but I hope this gets you started in programming.

w8prr

Premium Subscriber
Where are U?

Where are you located? If your close I may be able to get with you and help.

Rick Nelson

Status
Not open for further replies.