Programming P25 scan (vs. search) on BCD396/996XT using Freescan

Status
Not open for further replies.

bbtkd

Feed Provider
I have a 396XT and a 996XT and run a feed using the 996XT. Some time ago, I programmed the 996XT using freescan and radioreference and had to futz with a site or system setting to get it to receive anything in the scan mode. It would just happily scan without receiving anything until I hit the right combination of settings.

Recently I got the 396XT and when I programmed it using freescan and radioreference, I noted that by default freescan set it up in P25 search. I had forgotten about the earlier difficulty with scan, so tried it - and then remembered the difficulty. I suppose I could compare parameter by parameter and try to figure it out, but anyone know what it is - and why freescan and/or radioreference have this issue programming the SD digital system?

Also, any comments on whether you prefer P25 search vs. scan, and why? Seems to me that scan allows you to set exactly what you want to listen to, while search allows you to set what you don't want to listen to. Programming for search would be more exhaustive since you would need to exclude everything within range of the site that you don't want - and if new talkgroups are added you would get them. Programming for scan would require only loading the categories you want to select channels from, and others - including new talkgroups - would not be received. I can see benefits of each - so what do you use or prefer?

Thanks!

LarrySC

You need to know exactly what talk groups are active. I do have an older digital PRO-96 that hacks my local MOT system. I run it in OPEN mode [search] with a few ID's named that I wish to monitor and I lock out all the others. NOW, when a new ID comes up I catch it. In progrramming the GRE type digital you can enter a Wildcard at the end of your scan list. I label it "NEW ID". Add a special color and sound effect. You might run one of your units in search. Good Luck. Larry

Status
Not open for further replies.