Programming Pro 164 for Rock County, WI

Status
Not open for further replies.

Brenlp61

Premium Subscriber
Hello,

I just found out that Rock County went digital and I have a Radio Shack Pro 164 scanner, it is only 6 months old. I have the software so I can download the frequencies into my scanner, but can you listen to digital frequencies with this scanner. I hope I don't have to buy a new scanner, have checked out the price for a digital and they are out of my price range right now. Hope someone can help. Want to listen to be able to listen to what is going on in Beloit and surrounding areas.

Thanks for the help.

Brenda

ToDaMax

Premium Subscriber
Do a little research. Takes about 5 seconds to get an answer.

Pro 164 only does Analog Voices and Analog TRS. Therefore, to put simply, the answer is no, that scanner wont work

starmotionracing

Premium Subscriber
Did you get it at the Beloit RS? They should have known that all of Rock Co. was going dig. when they sold you the radio. It was in both Beloit and Janesville papers and I was out there last Nov talking to them about a dig scanner

KC9UNK

rock co

Radioshack in beloit didnt know about the digital change until about 2 months ago when i told them,my girlfriend works there and i forwarded emails to her manager with the change,all information they have is up to date

Brenlp61

Premium Subscriber
Yes, the scanner was bought from Beloit RS. It was a Christmas gift from my husband. I had a 10 channel scanner, but it finally gave up the ghost. Hubby bought me the Pro 164 and now it is just a paper weight. Makes me angry if Beloit RS knew last Nov, since my husband had to order it and he went to RS and talked to a salesperson there. Thanks for your help. This scanner has buttons on it I know nothing about. And my gosh, all the frequencies that I can store it it, but what is the use, if I can't listen to Rock Co..

Brenlp61

Premium Subscriber
ToDaMax, I'm sorry if I wasted your time. The scanner I have is new to me, thought this was the best place to go for answers to questions.I am a novice when it comes to a handheld scanner like the Pro 164. The last scanner I had was a 10 channel handheld. Thank you for answering my question. Have a nice day :)

KC9UNK

Radioshack didn't know at that time,the change come with a undetermined date, as far as rock county you can still listen to the paging channel, all fireground channels, and mabas and Marc Repeater, and then surrounding counties that's it. Im sorry

RoninJoliet

Premium Subscriber
The RS106 Digital H/H scanner is on sale till saterday =

The RS106 Digital H/H scanner is on sale till saterday 7-14-12 for $324.99, take back the 164 if its not over 30 days as not much difference in payment....When the bands opened up about a week ago i could hear Rock Co here on my RS197 Digital mobile, they did sound very good....

starmotionracing

Premium Subscriber
I was out there just before Black Friday and was talking to the guy working there about a dig scanner and told him that everybody in Rock Co was going dig before summer and thats why I was looking for a new scanner. I ended up getting a GRE PSR 800 for 349 best scanner I have had in the last 40 years

Status
Not open for further replies.