Pro-651: programming Pro-651

Status
Not open for further replies.

rlmartier

For years, I had a Radio Shack Pro-94 scanner which I took to car races. I would program in the car number and then the frequency of the car's team. Programming was simple and easy. I bought a new Pro-651 scanner and have yet to use it because reading the manual is like swimming in a swamp. All I want to do is what I did before. Any help out there? Is there a "cheat sheet" with the programming steps in easy to understand fashion?
Thanks much.

Wackyracer

Premium Subscriber
For years, I had a Radio Shack Pro-94 scanner which I took to car races. I would program in the car number and then the frequency of the car's team. Programming was simple and easy. I bought a new Pro-651 scanner and have yet to use it because reading the manual is like swimming in a swamp. All I want to do is what I did before. Any help out there? Is there a "cheat sheet" with the programming steps in easy to understand fashion?
Thanks much.

Nope. the pro-651 is over kill for your racing usage.

Buy a used "Race" scanner on ebay they are easier to program. I recommend uniden sportcat sc200 or sc180. for simple programming rechargeable battery pack, or the Uniden bc75xlt or bc92xlt these are smaller take 2 AA batteries and have slightly more steps to program via the keyboard then the SC series.

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
Thanks much.

Check here:

Easier to Read Pro-651/652/106/197 - WS1040/1065 - PSR 500/600 Digital Scanner Manual

sprite1741

These are simple to program with software. I had mine going in just a few minutes with Win500 by Starsoft which is free for 30 days. The programming cable is available on ebay. The pro-651 and ws-1040 are the best scanners I have ever owned. The spectrum sweeper would be great at events for finding unpublished frequencies in use. You also have v -folders which allow you to save multiple programming for different things, like cities or other events. You just call them up and have a custom programmed scanner wherever you go.

rlmartier

Thanks for the information. I admit to being totally frustrated. You have given me hope. I will order the cable and go from there. Fingers crossed.

rlmartier

Nope. the pro-651 is over kill for your racing usage.

Buy a used "Race" scanner on ebay they are easier to program. I recommend uniden sportcat sc200 or sc180. for simple programming rechargeable battery pack, or the Uniden bc75xlt or bc92xlt these are smaller take 2 AA batteries and have slightly more steps to program via the keyboard then the SC series.
Thanks for your response. This forum is great. Wish I had known about it before buying the 651, but Radio Shack was closing a store, and I got it at a good price. Oh, well.

trp2525

...I will order the cable and go from there...

FYI there is currently a brand-new "genuine" Radio Shack 20-546 scanner programming cable available on eBay for a starting bid of $18.00 (plus $3.50 shipping): Radio Shack Programming Cable. PRO106 PRO651 PRO652 PRO197 PRO96 WS1040 WS1065 | eBay

There is also a compatible aftermarket scanner programming cable for Radio Shack scanners available for $23.99 (with FREE shipping included): Radio Shack GRE Whistler FTDI Chipset USB Scanner Programming Cable 20-546 | eBay

Status
Not open for further replies.