Programming Pro-79

Status
Not open for further replies.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Is there a way to program the Pro-79 with options like it's squelch (CQ, NFM, etc.) I can do that on my Pro-106, but cannot find any options on the 79 to do this.

Thanks!

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Hey all,

Is there a way to program the Pro-79 with options like it's squelch (CQ, NFM, etc.) I can do that on my Pro-106, but cannot find any options on the 79 to do this.

Thanks!

Hi,

Most older scanners such as your PRO-79 lack these options. The -79 was a low-cost VHF/UHF scanner, and thus was not made with these more advanced features.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Oh, okay. Thanks! Does that mean that I will not be able to listen to a frequency which is NFM?

Hmm, as far as I know if you try to input a NFM style frequency (such as 151.5425), your PRO-79 will round it to the nearest "valid" frequency. There aren't too too many NFM frequencies out there yet, but if you try to input one into the scanner I think it will just say ERROR and round it up to a frequency the scanner will receive. To summarize, it won't properly receive an NFM channel.

Last edited:

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
I was able to add the frequency, even with the 5 at the end (my frequency). I am guessing that the Pro-79 doesn't let you set the type of Tone either (i.e. CSQ, etc.) or PL's?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
I was able to add the frequency, even with the 5 at the end (my frequency). I am guessing that the Pro-79 doesn't let you set the type of Tone either (i.e. CSQ, etc.) or PL's?

Oh wow, it let you add it? Well that's good then. I know for a fact however the -79 won't do PL/DPL squelch tones.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Oh wow, it let you add it? Well that's good then. I know for a fact however the -79 won't do PL/DPL squelch tones.

Yep! Let me add it! Thanks! I am thinking about putting that in my car but I don't know whether I should or not. If I do, does it make sense to get an external antenna even though I will only be listening to 40-50 frequencies and they are all around my area?

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Yep! Let me add it! Thanks! I am thinking about putting that in my car but I don't know whether I should or not. If I do, does it make sense to get an external antenna even though I will only be listening to 40-50 frequencies and they are all around my area?

Well if you have trouble receiving the stations you want to listen to with the stock rubber antenna, then yes an external antenna would be a good investment. If you receive all the channels with no issues, even when you are driving, then it just seems like a waste of money. :)

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Well if you have trouble receiving the stations you want to listen to with the stock rubber antenna, then yes an external antenna would be a good investment. If you receive all the channels with no issues, even when you are driving, then it just seems like a waste of money. :)

Thanks! Now the question is how do I test the reception? Drive around? lol

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Thanks! Now the question is how do I test the reception? Drive around? lol

Yeah if you're just talking about testing reception with the stock antenna just drive your daily routes with the scanner, and if you're not hearing the local stations clearly you can decide to invest in an external antenna.

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Yeah if you're just talking about testing reception with the stock antenna just drive your daily routes with the scanner, and if you're not hearing the local stations clearly you can decide to invest in an external antenna.

Would you say it would be a good investment to get an external antenna? I want to be able to hear my frequencies from 20 miles away. I just want an easy way to install a magmount antenna on my roof - how would I get the coax wire from the roof into the car.

Colin9690

Delaware County, OH
Premium Subscriber
Would you say it would be a good investment to get an external antenna? I want to be able to hear my frequencies from 20 miles away. I just want an easy way to install a magmount antenna on my roof - how would I get the coax wire from the roof into the car.

Yes, an external antenna should help significantly. I've never run an external antenna in my vehicle for a scanner, but when I used to have my mag mount CB antenna I just routed the cable across the roof and down into the door jamb and into the car. It shouldn't damage the coax.

N8IAA

An external antenna is always a good idea if you want to listen to distant stations. I am guessing that there is a lot of VHF/UHF comms in your area. The usual way that an antenna is routed to the inside, is through the doorway. Just make sure that it doesn't get pinched too tight between the door and the body of the car. I suggest a simple vhf 1/4 wave antenna. If you have a ham store nearby, they can hook you up with a 2m 1/4 wave antenna and mag mount. Make sure that it has a BNC connector to hook straight to your scanner. Oh, by the way, CQS stands for carrier squelch. Which means that there is no tone--CTCSS or DPL--being transmitted by the radio.
Larry

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Yes, an external antenna should help significantly. I've never run an external antenna in my vehicle for a scanner, but when I used to have my mag mount CB antenna I just routed the cable across the roof and down into the door jamb and into the car. It shouldn't damage the coax.

Where is the door jamb? lol I think I know what you're talking about but I am not quite sure...

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
An external antenna is always a good idea if you want to listen to distant stations. I am guessing that there is a lot of VHF/UHF comms in your area. The usual way that an antenna is routed to the inside, is through the doorway. Just make sure that it doesn't get pinched too tight between the door and the body of the car. I suggest a simple vhf 1/4 wave antenna. If you have a ham store nearby, they can hook you up with a 2m 1/4 wave antenna and mag mount. Make sure that it has a BNC connector to hook straight to your scanner. Oh, by the way, CQS stands for carrier squelch. Which means that there is no tone--CTCSS or DPL--being transmitted by the radio.
Larry

I mainly want to listen to Fire/EMS dispatch from towns throughout my area. I live in Morris County, NJ. Do you think that I will be better off with an external?

whiskeytango

Scanner Antennas

just got the hustler mrm for 20 bucks, youll get the transmissions a lot clearer than with the stock antenna that comes off the scanner. so yes for the price is was well worth it. i got an additional 50 miles of range id say. and the in town frequecies got crystal clear

door jam is where the latch is basically, but at the top, wehre that rubber seal goes around.

N8IAA

I mainly want to listen to Fire/EMS dispatch from towns throughout my area. I live in Morris County, NJ. Do you think that I will be better off with an external?

Just be aware that your county has a lot of the townships and boroughs going to the UHF P-25 Morris County trunked system. But, if, you are hearing some/most of the PD/FD/EMS on the 79, no need to get a new digital scanner. When everything goes quiet, then you know what you will be needing:) And, yes, I have 'jammed' a finger or two in the door:)) I did mean at the top of the door where the seal and the door meet. It is usually the best spot for coax to enter.
Larry

ScannerSky

Premium Subscriber
Just be aware that your county has a lot of the townships and boroughs going to the UHF P-25 Morris County trunked system. But, if, you are hearing some/most of the PD/FD/EMS on the 79, no need to get a new digital scanner. When everything goes quiet, then you know what you will be needing:) And, yes, I have 'jammed' a finger or two in the door:)) I did mean at the top of the door where the seal and the door meet. It is usually the best spot for coax to enter.
Larry

Thanks! I actually have a Pro-106 which I use for my home scanner. The Pro-79 I am using to listen to things around me - doesn't have to be my town but I like to hear what's going on lol ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.