Programming PRO106

Status
Not open for further replies.

eileenplun

Programming PRO106 HELP needed ASAP

I just bought the 106. Have been in scanning for 40 years but am overwhelmed with how to program. RS programmed it as much as possible. I need someone who can program ALL of Marin County, CA and specifically Novato, CA for me. I am most willing to pay to have this done. I think I'm just too old to try to do this on my own and don't need to be able to pat myself on the back for being able to do it. LOL...I do enough of that with my computer accomplishments. So..............is there anyone out there who can help me?

I might add that my 49 year old policeman son who lives back east wasn't able to program his and he has been scanning for about 30 years. He claimed to be too busy but..............Mom's know just like the Shadow knows!!!!!!!!

Thanks,
Eileen Plunkett
Novato, CA

Last edited:

Delldell26

I went the easy way and purchased the following:
1. Radio Shack Scanner Programming Cable 20-047
2. ARC500 program from the BuTel website
3. A premium account from radio reference

Having the premium account really helped me a lot since I am kinda new to the whole digital/trunking scanning. With the combination of the three items above, programming the scanner is a breeze for me now.

weeksben1

As the above poster said,

1. The Radio Shack programming cable.

2. A Radioreference premium subscription. (It doesn't cost much, $20 or $30 if I remember correctly)

3. Programming software.
a.Butel ARC500,
b.WIN500
c.PSREdit
(Try out all three and see which works for you).

I tried programming my PSR-500 (the PRO-106 is simply RS's version of the PSR-500), by hand and after about 2-3 hours I wanted to give up. I spent the $55 ($30 for RadioReference subscription and $35 to register Win500) and I haven't looked back.:p

eileenplun

I went the easy way and purchased the following:
1. Radio Shack Scanner Programming Cable 20-047
2. ARC500 program from the BuTel website
3. A premium account from radio reference

Having the premium account really helped me a lot since I am kinda new to the whole digital/trunking scanning. With the combination of the three items above, programming the scanner is a breeze for me now.
I do have the cable so my next question is are the instructions clear so I don't wipe out what's already there? Since I have already done that once I don't want to do it again. Does it tell you how to make folders for each set of freqs? Bottom line, the RS instruction book is tedious, will I be able to do this easily?

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate it and am very anxious to get this puppy up and running the way I want it.

Eileen

Delldell26

I do have the cable so my next question is are the instructions clear so I don't wipe out what's already there? Since I have already done that once I don't want to do it again. Does it tell you how to make folders for each set of freqs? Bottom line, the RS instruction book is tedious, will I be able to do this easily?

Thanks so much for all the input, I really appreciate it and am very anxious to get this puppy up and running the way I want it.

Eileen

I am not sure how the other programs operate, I have only used the ARC500, but you can download what is currently programmed on the scanner to the ARC500 program and then just add what other cities you want to monitor. After that just upload the new information you added to what was already programmed. This may seem very confusing when you read it but it is easy to do.

Just make sure you download what is already programmed in your scanner and save it. That way you can tinker around with it and if you make mistakes you will still have it backed up.

eileenplun

I am not sure how the other programs operate, I have only used the ARC500, but you can download what is currently programmed on the scanner to the ARC500 program and then just add what other cities you want to monitor. After that just upload the new information you added to what was already programmed. This may seem very confusing when you read it but it is easy to do.

Just make sure you download what is already programmed in your scanner and save it. That way you can tinker around with it and if you make mistakes you will still have it backed up.
DD,
I downloaded a demo from Scancat Lite since that's what RS uses. I did it because they said all it would do would be to read your radio. It didn't but that may be because I wasn't sure what to do. I don't plan to use it.

I guess you mean that I will upload my scanner freqs to ARC500 and then download from ARC500 other freqs? I'm getting closer to being brave and trying this.

Eileen

eileenplun

Hey Bubba,

When can you move to Novato???

LOL...............I will definitely ask you for help once I get myself set up, or maybe I should say, before I get myself set up.

Thanks much.

Status
Not open for further replies.