programming psr500

Status
Not open for further replies.

jloriginal

Premium Subscriber
Is there anyone in the calgary area that can program my psr500 handheld? Ive had this for a while and cant understand how to program the talkgroups and things. I have some police channels that Ive gotten off of the net but I know I can get more frequencies than what I have. I would like the frequencies for all of the districts. Any help would be appreciated.

jloriginal

Premium Subscriber
Thank you very much. Ill try these. I read the manual on talk groups but it doesnt seem to register how to do that stuff. I know there are IDs and stuff but I dont know how to enter them in my scanner with the frequencies. Anyway thanks for your response. I really appreciate it.

W2PMX

Using software to program a scanner makes it much easier. Download Win500 and try it (it'll run for 30 days without registration) and see if that makes it easier for you.

Read the various pages in the wiki here on Radio Reference about trunking, and see if that makes talkgroups more clear to you. Talkgroups and frequencies are completely different things. (Most scanner manuals assume that you know what a talkgroup is and how trunking works - they're not good sources to learn about trunking.)

jloriginal

Premium Subscriber
I agree. Ive been trying to understand the tsys trgp IDs and things for some time and it just doesnt register. I find im using only conventional. I can download the win500 but I dont know if I will understand how to use it. I really appreciate your patience in trying to help me. ADD Makes some things impossible to try to learn.

W2PMX

ADD or not, trunking isn't something you can learn in 5 minutes. Take your time. When your brain seems to be coming loose from your skull, put the book away and just listen to the scanner. Try again the next day. All of a sudden it'll click in.

Highpockets

I agree. Ive been trying to understand the tsys trgp IDs and things for some time and it just doesnt register. I find im using only conventional. I can download the win500 but I dont know if I will understand how to use it. I really appreciate your patience in trying to help me. ADD Makes some things impossible to try to learn.

See if this helps at all, Win500 Guide:

WIN500 - UtahRadio

Highpockets

Thanks Steve. Another member mentioned that too. I will try it today

Take your time and go through the Guide, once you get the knack of how things look in the software a light will go off and it will all come to you. At first people think you have to have a degree to program the scanner, you'll do fine. :)

jloriginal

Premium Subscriber
I see calgary police have fleet IDs and no frequency number. Is there a way to enter a fleet ID number into a psr500 to get the frequency downloaded? Any help would be appreciated.

Highpockets

I see calgary police have fleet IDs and no frequency number. Is there a way to enter a fleet ID number into a psr500 to get the frequency downloaded? Any help would be appreciated.

Unzip the attached file into your Win500 directory, run Win500, under the file tab use the open command to open Calgary.p500. The info should open in Win500 this may give you an idea on how things should look.

Last edited:

Highpockets

When you open that file, click on the TSYS tab, with Calgary highlighted, in the upper right corner of the screen, click on System Frequencies, that's where you'll find the freq's for that system.

Also once open, you can assign a color for your conventional freq's on the Conventional tab and TG on the TSYS tab, say blue for PD, red for fire, and green for EMS, etc.

Last edited:

jloriginal

Premium Subscriber
Ive downloaded win500, tried to unzip the file in winzip and it says my 30 day plan has expired and is asking me for a key to open it. There must be something Im doing wrong. Any ideas, or should I just buy the program & be done with it.

W2PMX

We've all been in "I don't know what to do now-land", and know how nice it is to get help. I've been doing this for 54-1/2 years, but 55 years ago I was totally clueless about radios. Someone latched onto me and taught me for months. W2RD has been a silent key for years, but I owe him a lot. (And K2ORE, if you're out there, thank you too.)

Status
Not open for further replies.