Programming Radio Shack Pro-651

Status
Not open for further replies.

flvanhelten

Premium Subscriber
Basic 101 programming for people such as me with little knowledge. Some things I learned (and am still learning/trying to comprehend). 1st, You Tube was my biggest help to comprehension. After at least 20 (+) hrs. of messing around to understand the technical jargon, a gentleman's video for programming this particular scanner made more sense to me than the instructions included with the radio, R.R. articles and the web in general. My biggest discovery is this. CONV is basically the "old" system. TRUNKED is the "new" system. In my area (Harford County, Maryland), both are still used although most though have gone to TRUNKED and TALKGROUP (7/800 mega hertz). You can SAVE and SCAN CONV, TRUNKED/TGRP, AM, FM and others that this scanner offers. CONV basically scans a frequency and TRUNKED/TGRP narrows down an agency you may want to focus on more with the aid of DEC and HEX. The "new" system in this area operates under the "Central Maryland Area Regional Communications Committee (CMARC) Project 25 Phase I." Clicking on it gives more of a break down for the agencies. I personally programmed (TRUNKED) all the frequencies for my county then began separating the agencies (Fire, EMS, State, local, etc.) into SCAN lists. My personal experience showed/taught me the USB cable and disk (purchased separately) for downloading R.R. to this scanner are NOT needed. It only downloaded the CONV (old) system ONLY. I still had to manually program TRUNKED (frequencies) & TGRP (agencies). And once you can do TRUNKED, CONV is a bit easier and often (my case) already manually inputted because that frequency is used in TRUNKED also. I hope this may save others from the long and lengthy process I went through. I still have learning to do, but now I can at least SCAN (and listen too) the agencies I wanted.

DJ11DLN

Basic 101 programming for people such as me with little knowledge. Some things I learned (and am still learning/trying to comprehend). 1st, You Tube was my biggest help to comprehension. After at least 20 (+) hrs. of messing around to understand the technical jargon, a gentleman's video for programming this particular scanner made more sense to me than the instructions included with the radio, R.R. articles and the web in general. My biggest discovery is this. CONV is basically the "old" system. TRUNKED is the "new" system. In my area (Harford County, Maryland), both are still used although most though have gone to TRUNKED and TALKGROUP (7/800 mega hertz). You can SAVE and SCAN CONV, TRUNKED/TGRP, AM, FM and others that this scanner offers. CONV basically scans a frequency and TRUNKED/TGRP narrows down an agency you may want to focus on more with the aid of DEC and HEX. The "new" system in this area operates under the "Central Maryland Area Regional Communications Committee (CMARC) Project 25 Phase I." Clicking on it gives more of a break down for the agencies. I personally programmed (TRUNKED) all the frequencies for my county then began separating the agencies (Fire, EMS, State, local, etc.) into SCAN lists. My personal experience showed/taught me the USB cable and disk (purchased separately) for downloading R.R. to this scanner are NOT needed. It only downloaded the CONV (old) system ONLY. I still had to manually program TRUNKED (frequencies) & TGRP (agencies). And once you can do TRUNKED, CONV is a bit easier and often (my case) already manually inputted because that frequency is used in TRUNKED also. I hope this may save others from the long and lengthy process I went through. I still have learning to do, but now I can at least SCAN (and listen too) the agencies I wanted.

Glad you got it working. Personally, the software, cable, and RR database probably saved me from throwing my Pro-197 & 651 (and others) up in the air to use as clay pigeon targets. But to each their own, if we all agreed it'd be a pretty dull world! Enjoy your scanner.:D

flvanhelten

Premium Subscriber
More radio stuff than I need also. But options to add once I (if I) learn more. Bit burned out on the learning curve @ this time. Any idea about the difference (if any) between DEC and HEX? I loaded DEC and HEX seemed to be automatic (thankfully) but I guess (?) one can operate off one or the other? When HEX is selected, underneath it says NORM (F3 on the 651). Willing and encourage any info (basic 101) to help me learn. Again, Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.