Programming SAFE-T into BCD396xt

Status
Not open for further replies.

jclarkr6

I am attempting to program a few SAFE-T sites into my new BCD396xt and I was wondering what type of system I should program it as. According to RR, SAFE-T is a "Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink" system. However, that is not an option to select on the 396xt. The only Motorola Type II system that I can select seems to be called a "Mot II/P25." I know that SAFE-T does utilize the APCO-25 Digital Interface, so should I select the "Mot II/P25" setting as my system type or should I be selecting something else? I would appreciate any adivce that anyone might have to offer.

jclarkr6

Additional Question

After I pick the type of system it allows me to choose what site type each site should be. I am given the choice between "Mot 800MHz Standard (Type II)" or "Mot 800 MHz Splinter (Type II). Those are the only site types that involve a Motorola Type II system. In addition to my above question, would anyone happen to know what the the site type should be? I will be monitoring both SAFE-T towers (sites) in Vigo County.

AK9R

Lead Wiki Manager and almost an Awesome Moderator
Super Moderator
Use P25 Standard
I'm not familiar with the BCD396XT, but that is not a correct setting for a BCD396T or BCD996T.

Indiana's Project SAFE-T uses Motorola Smartzone Omnilink for trunking. For most scanners, that translates as Motorola Type II. SAFE-T does not use APCO P25 for trunking, however it does use P25 for digital voice.

The earlier Uniden scanners understood how this worked. You programmed the scanner to trunk a Mot Type II system and when the scanner stopped on a digital channel, it would detect the P25 encoding and decode properly (most of the time). One of the tricks we learned with the 996 was to program digital talk groups as digital and analog talk groups as analog. This relieved the scanner of having to make a decision and reduced the "machine gunning" on some talk groups.

One of the advantages to SAFE-T using Mot Type II is that older, non-digital scanners can still be used to trunk-track the analog talk groups on SAFE-T. My BC780XLT picks up the Mutual Aid, INDOT, and Hendricks County Fire talk groups just fine.

GTO_04

I am attempting to program a few SAFE-T sites into my new BCD396xt and I was wondering what type of system I should program it as. According to RR, SAFE-T is a "Motorola Type II SmartZone Omnilink" system. However, that is not an option to select on the 396xt. The only Motorola Type II system that I can select seems to be called a "Mot II/P25." I know that SAFE-T does utilize the APCO-25 Digital Interface, so should I select the "Mot II/P25" setting as my system type or should I be selecting something else? I would appreciate any adivce that anyone might have to offer.

The correct setting is Mot Type II/P25.

GTO_04

jclarkr6

Thanks!

Thanks to everybody for replying to my message.

W9RXR and GTO_04, I really appreciate both of you providing me with such great advice. I've set the system to Mot Type II/P25 and I will program the digital TG's as such. Thanks again!

Status
Not open for further replies.