Programming Software: 20-197

Status
Not open for further replies.

W8HDU

Just curious if anyone has pro/cons about some of the programming software for the 20-197. I have four of them here in our office, two purchased several years ago, and two just recently purchased.

I have the PRO106_FIRMWARE21.EXE file to upgrade all of them to the latest and greatest. I also think I can figure out how to download from the RadioReference database. I also ordered the programming cable. The one thing I'm sort of stumped on is the best software to use for the upgrades and programming.

Any suggestions?

FWIW, I use the Vertex/Yaesu stuff all the time to program my radios.

Frederick Vobbe, W8HDU

RDGDigital

Object Oriented Scanner Software - The RadioReference Wiki

There is basically three choices for programming the PRO-197 as shown in the link above. I personally use and recommend Win500 since it was written and supported by the same person who originally wrote the firmware for that scanner for GRE. However, that's just my preference. Some people on this site prefer one of the other because they make more since to them in the way they are organized.

Since all three software packages have a 30 day free trial, my recommendation is to do what I did... I downloaded and installed all three on the same day and tried them all for 30 days and then decided which one made the most sense to me.

Last edited:

fxdscon

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Subscriber
The one thing I'm sort of stumped on is the best software to use for the upgrades and programming.

Third party software in not used for firmware upgrades. Just that .exe file is all you need for that (along with the programming cable).

Status
Not open for further replies.